Youth Unemployment: Aggregate Incidence and Consequences for Individuals
This paper analyses the incidence and impact of unemployment among young Australians. It is argued that the scale and seriousness of the current youth problem are often overstated. There is no evidence that the aggregate unemployment experience of young Australians has changed over the last two decades. The groups of young people most at risk of unemployment are identified. While the overall scale of the problem is not worsening, some of the young unemployed face adverse future labour market outcomes. It is argued that while there is a role for specific policies targeted at young people, these need to be accompanied by policies that involve managing aggregate demand.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trivedi, P K & Alexander, J N, 1989. "Reemployment Probability and Multiple Unemployment Spells: A Partial-Likelihood Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 395-401, July.
- Holzer, Harry J, 1988.
"Search Method Use by Unemployed Youth,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Matthew Gray, 2000. "The Effects of Unemployment on the Earnings of Young Australians," CEPR Discussion Papers 419, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Rosella Gardecki & David Neumark, 1997.
"Order from Chaos? The Effects of Early Labor Market Experiences on Adult Labor Market Outcomes,"
NBER Working Papers
5899, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosella Gardecki & David Neumark, 1998. "Order from chaos? The effects of early labor market experiences on adult labor market outcomes," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(2), pages 299-322, January.
- Stephen Knights & Mark Harris & Joanne Loundes, 2000.
"Dynamic Relationships in the Australian Labour Market: Heterogeneity and State Dependence,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2000n06, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Knights, Stephen & Harris, Mark N & Loundes, Joanne, 2002. "Dynamic Relationships in the Australian Labour Market: Heterogeneity and State Dependence," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(242), pages 284-98, September.
- Nickell, Stephen & Narendranathan, Wiji & Stern, Jon & Garcia, Jaime, 1989. "The Nature of Unemployment in Britain: Studies of the DHSS Cohort," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198285489.
- Harris, Mark N, 1996. "Modelling the Probability of Youth Unemployment in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(217), pages 118-29, June.
- Miller, Paul W, 1983. "The Determinants of School Participation Rates: A Cross-Sectional Analysis for New South Wales and Victoria," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 59(164), pages 43-56, March.
- Heckman, James J. & Singer, Burton, 1984. "Econometric duration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 63-132.
- Gaston, Noel & Timcke, David, 1999. "Do Casual Workers Find Permanent Full-Time Employment? Evidence from the Australian Youth Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 333-47, December.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1997.
"Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(4), pages 735-76, October.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1995. "Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?," NBER Working Papers 5030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hardin, A & Kapuscinski, C, 1997. "Young Australians in Unemployment : Despair by any Other Name," CEPR Discussion Papers 359, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Ackum, Susanne, 1991. " Youth Unemployment, Labor Market Programs and Subsequent Earnings," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 93(4), pages 531-43.
- Jones, Stephen R G, 1989. "Job Research Methods, Intensity and Effects," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 277-96, August.
- Gregory, M. & Jukes, R., 1997. "The Effects of Unemployment on Subsequent Earnings: A Study of British Men 1984-94," Papers 21, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:0408001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.