Equilibrium unemployment under negotiated profit sharing
We study employment, employee effort, wages and profit sharing when firms face stochastic revenue shocks and when base wages and profit shares are determined through collective bargaining. The negotiated profit share depends positively on the relative bargaining power of the trade union and has effort-enhancing and wage-moderating effects. We show that higher profit sharing reduces equilibrium unemployment under circumstances with sufficiently ‘rigid’ labour market institutions, ie sufficiently high benefit- replacement ratios and relative bargaining powers of trade unions. Conversely, profit sharing seems to be destructive from the point of view of employment when the labour market ‘rigidities’ are sufficiently small
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, March.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, March.
- Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1990.
"The Effects of Profit-Sharing on Employment, Wages, Stock Returns and Productivity: Evidence from UK Micro-data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 1-17, March.
- Wadhwani, S. & Wall, M., 1988. "The Effects Of Profit-Sharing On Employment, Wages, Stock Returns And Productivity: Evidence From Uk Micro-Data," Papers 311, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1991.
"Employment Determination in British Industry: Investigations Using Micro-data,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(5), pages 955-69, October.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil B, 1989. "Employment Determination in British Industry: Investigations Using Micro-Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cahuc, P. & Dormont, B., 1992.
"Profit-Sharing: Does It Increase Productivity and Employment? A Theoretical Model and Empirical Evidence of French Micro Data,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
92.45, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Cahuc, Pierre & Dormont, Brigitte, 1997. "Profit-sharing: Does it increase productivity and employment? A theoretical model and empirical evidence on French micro data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 293-319, September.
- Layard, R. & Nickell, S., 1988.
"Is Unemployment Lower If Unions Bargain Over Employment?,"
308, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen, 1990. "Is Unemployment Lower if Unions Bargain over Employment?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 773-87, August.
- Bulkley, George & Myles, Gareth D, 1996. "Trade Unions, Efficiency Wages, and Shirking," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(1), pages 75-88, January.
- Erkki Koskela & Ronnie Schöb & Hans-Werner Sinn, 1998.
"Pollution, Factor Taxation and Unemployment,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 379-396, July.
- Christopher Martin, .
"Efficiency Wages and Union-Firm Bargaining,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
97-10, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1985.
"The Simple Macroeconomics of Profit Sharing,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 937-53, December.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1988.
"Relative Wages, Efficiency Wages, and Keynesian Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
2590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Relative Wages, Efficiency Wages, and Keynesian Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 383-88, May.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1990.
"Profit Sharing, Wage Bargaining, and Unemployment,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(2), pages 257-68, April.
- Hendricks, Wallace E & Kahn, Lawrence M, 1991. "Efficiency Wages, Monopoly Unions and Efficient Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1149-62, September.
- Jerger, Jurgen & Michaelis, Jochen, 1999. " Profit Sharing, Capital Formation and the NAIRU," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(2), pages 257-75, June.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:0404009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.