The role of market discipline in handling problem banks
This paper considers the conditions that are necessary for market discipline to complement prompt corrective action (PCA) by the authorities in handling problem banks. We initially consider precisely what market discipline means in this context, who exercises it and the preconditions that are necessary for it to operate effectively. We explore the incentives that are necessary for PCA and market discipline to reinforce rather than cancel each other and in particular consider the limits to market discipline in this context from corporate governance and from difficulties in valuation. While our analysis is primarily aimed at advanced countries, we also examine problems in emerging markets and how deposit insurance arrangements might conflict with the aims of both PCA and market discipline.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takalo, Tuomas & Toivanen, Otto, 2003.
"Equilibrium in financial markets with adverse selection,"
Research Discussion Papers
6/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Tuomas Takalo & Otto Toivanen, 2004. "Equilibrium in financial markets with adverse selection," Finance 0405001, EconWPA.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Heiko Schmiedel, 2004.
"Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? European evidence,"
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2003. "Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? : European evidence," Research Discussion Papers 2/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Samu Peura & Esa Jokivuolle, 2004. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Finance 0405003, EconWPA.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2004.
"Friedman’s money supply rule vs optimal interest rate policy,"
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2003. "Friedman's Money Supply Rule vs. Optimal Interest Rate Policy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(5), pages 550-566, November.
- Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo, 2003. "Friedman's money supply rule vs optimal interest rate policy," Research Discussion Papers 10/2003, Bank of Finland.
- David T. Llewellyn & David G. Mayes, 2004.
"The role of market discipline in handling problem banks,"
- Llewellyn, David T. & Mayes, David G., 2003. "The role of market discipline in handling problem banks," Research Discussion Papers 21/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Eric Schaling, 2004. "Learning, inflation expectations and optimal monetary policy," Macroeconomics 0404035, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0404020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.