Banks' equity stakes in borrowing firms: A corporate finance approach
In most countries, banks’ equity holdings in firms that borrow from then are rather small. In light of the theoretical literature, this is somewhat surprising. For example, according to agency cost models, allowing banks to hold equity would seem to alleviate firms’ asset substitution moral hazard problem associated with debt financing. This idea is formalised in John, John, and Saunders in a model where banks are modeled as passive investors and bank loans are the only source of outside finance for firms. In this paper, we argue that this alleged benefit of banks’ equity holding is small or non-existent when banks are modeled explicitly as active monitors and firms have access also to market finance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samu Peura & Esa Jokivuolle, 2004. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Finance 0405003, EconWPA.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2003.
"Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? : European evidence,"
Research Discussion Papers
2/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Heiko Schmiedel, 2004. "Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? European evidence," International Finance 0405002, EconWPA.
- Takalo, Tuomas & Toivanen, Otto, 2003. "Equilibrium in financial markets with adverse selection," Research Discussion Papers 6/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Tuomas Takalo & Otto Toivanen, 2004. "Equilibrium in financial markets with adverse selection," Finance 0405001, EconWPA.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2003. "Friedman's Money Supply Rule vs. Optimal Interest Rate Policy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(5), pages 550-566, November.
- Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo, 2003. "Friedman's money supply rule vs optimal interest rate policy," Research Discussion Papers 10/2003, Bank of Finland.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 2004. "Friedman’s money supply rule vs optimal interest rate policy," Macroeconomics 0405002, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpga:0404003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.