Each player in an infinite population interacts strategically with a finite subset of that population. Suppose each player's binary choice in each period is a best response to the population choices of the previous period. When can behaviour that is initially played by only a finite set of player spread to the whole population? This paper characterizes when such contagion is possible for arbitrary local interaction systems. Maximal contagion occurs when local interaction is sufficiently uniform and there is low neighbour growth, i.e. the number of players who can be reached in k steps does not grow exponentially in k. Copyright 2000 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/ier/paperier.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Mailath & Larry Samuelson & Avner Shaked, .
"Correlated Equilibria and Local Interactions,"
Penn CARESS Working Papers
65b8832286a695ab9adcaad9f, Penn Economics Department.
- George J. Mailath & Larry Samuelson & Avner Shaked, . ""Correlated Equilibria and Local Interactions''," CARESS Working Papres 95-16, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- George J. Mailath & Larry Samuelson & Avner Shaked, . "Correlated Equilibria and Local Interactions," CARESS Working Papres 97-6, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- George J. mailath & Larry Samuelson & Avner Shaked, . "Correlated Equilibria and Local Interactions," ELSE working papers 030, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, June.
- repec:att:wimass:9426 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sugden, Robert, 1995. "The coexistence of conventions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 241-256, October.
- Glen Ellison, 2010.
"Learning, Local Interaction, and Coordination,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
391, David K. Levine.
- S. Morris & R. Rob & H. Shin, 2010.
"p-dominance and Belief Potential,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
505, David K. Levine.
- George Mailath & Larry Samuelson & Avner Shaked, 1994.
"Evolution and Endogenous Interactions,"
Game Theory and Information
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennca:97-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.