Local human capital and external economies: evidence for Spain
It is assumed that human capital external economies can increase factor productivity. However, as human capital is accumulated in an unequal way in the territory, productivity improvements will be different among territories. So, in the presence of labour mobility, wage differences will induce migratory movements that would concentrate population in a given geographical area and increasing housing rents until the net advantage of residing and working in different places is equal. In this paper we estimate wage and housing rents equations following Rauch (1993) model using microdata from the EPF 1990/91. The results offer evidence of local human capital external economies for the Spanish economy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Aug 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Esteban Sanroma Melendez & Raul Ramos Lobo, 1999.
"Regional structure of wages and external economies in Spain,"
Working Papers in Economics
51, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Raul Ramos & Esteban Sanroma, 1998. "Regional structure of wages and external economies in Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa98p160, European Regional Science Association.
- Almond, Douglas & Ciccone, Antonio & Peri, Giovanni, 1999.
"Capital, Wages and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Ciccone & Giovanni Peri & Douglas Almond, . "Capital, Wages, and Growth: Theory and Evidence," Working Papers 152, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Antonio Ciccone & Giovanni Peri & Douglas Almond, 1999. "Capital, wages and growth: Theory and evidence," Economics Working Papers 389, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 1999.
- Giovanni Peri, . "Human Capital and Productivity in US Cities," Working Papers 138, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Rauch James E., 1993.
"Productivity Gains from Geographic Concentration of Human Capital: Evidence from the Cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 380-400, November.
- James E. Rauch, 1991. "Productivity Gains From Geographic Concentration of human Capital: Evidence From the Cities," NBER Working Papers 3905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adsera, A., 1998.
"Sectoral Spillovers and the Price of Land. A Cost Analysis,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
413.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Adsera, Alicia, 2000. "Sectoral spillovers and the price of land: a cost analysis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 565-585, September.
- Roback, Jennifer, 1982. "Wages, Rents, and the Quality of Life," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1257-78, December.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Theodore W. Schultz, 1960. "Capital Formation by Education," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 571.
- Enrico Moretti, 2003.
"Human Capital Externalities in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
9641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa99pa309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.