Local human capital and productivity: an analysis for the Spanish regions
In the last decade, different studies have empirically tested the existence or not of a positive relationship between local human capital stock and regional productivity. The most usual finding has been a positive correlation among them. However, different authors do not agree when explaining this result. On one hand, a first group of authors argue that this relationship is related to the presence of external economies associated to human capital. On the other hand, a second group believe that the reason to find this positive relationship is the complementarity between human and physical capital. The objective of this paper is to analyse the possible existence of a positive relationship between the human capital stock of the Spanish provinces (NUTS III regions) and their productivity and, next, to test if this relationship can be explained by the presence of external economies. This is done using data from the Family Budget Survey (EPF) on individual wages, education and experience for the 50 considered Spanish provinces.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Peri, . "Human Capital and Productivity in US Cities," Working Papers 138, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1997.
"Why Do New Technologies Complement Skills? Directed Technical Change and Wage Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1707, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1998. "Why Do New Technologies Complement Skills? Directed Technical Change And Wage Inequality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(4), pages 1055-1089, November.
- Acemoglu, D., 1997. "Why Do New Technologies Complement Skills? Directed Technical Change and Wage Inequality," Working papers 97-14, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Rauch James E., 1993.
"Productivity Gains from Geographic Concentration of Human Capital: Evidence from the Cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 380-400, November.
- James E. Rauch, 1991. "Productivity Gains From Geographic Concentration of human Capital: Evidence From the Cities," NBER Working Papers 3905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 421-450, 07.
- Theodore W. Schultz, 1960. "Capital Formation by Education," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 571.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
3181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Esteban Sanroma Melendez & Raul Ramos Lobo, 1999.
"Regional structure of wages and external economies in Spain,"
Working Papers in Economics
51, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Raul Ramos & Esteban Sanroma, 1998. "Regional structure of wages and external economies in Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa98p160, European Regional Science Association.
- Wagner, Alfred, 1891.
"Marshall's Principles of Economics,"
History of Economic Thought Articles,
McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 5, pages 319-338.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1996. "A Microfoundation for Social Increasing Returns in Human Capital Accumulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 779-804, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Adsera, A., 1998.
"Sectoral Spillovers and the Price of Land. A Cost Analysis,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
413.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Adsera, Alicia, 2000. "Sectoral spillovers and the price of land: a cost analysis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 565-585, September.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002.
"Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing,"
North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003
05, Stata Users Group.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2003. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 545, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 02, Stata Users Group.
- Hipolito Simon & Raul Ramos & Esteban Sanroma, 2006.
"Collective bargaining and regional wage differences in Spain: an empirical analysis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1749-1760.
- Hipólito J. Simón & Raúl Ramos & Esteve Sanromà, 2005. "Collective bargaining and regional wage differences in Spain: An empirical analysis," Working Papers 2005/7, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Angrist, 2001. "How Large are Human-Capital Externalities? Evidence from Compulsory-Schooling Laws," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 9-74 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lorenzo Serrano-Martínez, 1999.
"Capital humano, estructura sectorial y crecimiento en las regiones españolas,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 23(2), pages 225-249, May.
- Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998. "Capital Humano, Estructura Sectorial Y Crecimiento En Las Regiones Españolas," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2002.
"Directed Technical Change,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(4), pages 781-809, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa01p139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.