Migration Determinants at a Local Level
This paper is about determinants of migration at a local level. We use data from Catalan municipalities in order to understand what explains migration patterns of population between 2004 and 2010. The contribution of this paper is to present an empirical application made using data from municipalities in Catalonia between 2004 and 2010. This is a period in which economic activity increases considerably, with the exception of the period 2008-2010, characterised by the start of the economic crisis. The growth in terms of GDP and workforce attracted a lot of international migrants due to a growing demand of low-skilled jobs. At the same time, house prices rose considerably at the main urban areas, a situation that pushed young educated couples from the centre of these areas to the surrounding (cheaper) municipalities, in a typical example of counterurbanization, where migrations movements are from urban to rural areas. Given the characteristics and typologies of Catalan migration movements, in this paper we will focus at intra-regional migrations, which are of considerable importance during the period analysed here. Our results show the importance of counterurbanization and suggest that migration determinants do not affect all types of municipalities in the same way.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colwell, Peter F. & Dehring, Carolyn A. & Turnbull, Geoffrey K., 2002. "Recreation Demand and Residential Location," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 418-428, May.
- Michael Reibel, 2007. "Geographic Information Systems and Spatial Data Processing in Demography: a Review," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, vol. 26(5), pages 601-618, December.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GORG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, 2003.
"Multinationals' location choice, agglomeration economies and public incentives,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2006. "Multinationals' Location Choice, Agglomeration Economies, and Public Incentives," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 29(1), pages 81-107, January.
- Ivan Etzo, 2011. "The Determinants Of The Recent Interregional Migration Flows In Italy: A Panel Data Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 948-966, December.
- Dan S. Rickman & Shane D. Rickman, 2011.
"Population Growth In High‐Amenity Nonmetropolitan Areas: What'S The Prognosis?,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 863-879, December.
- Dan S. Rickman & Shane D. Rickman, 2009. "Population Growth in High Amenity Nonmetropolitan Areas: What’s the Prognosis?," Economics Working Paper Series 0907, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Vicente Royuela & Rosina Moreno & Esther Vaya, 2010. "Influence of Quality of Life on Urban Growth: A Case Study of Barcelona, Spain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 551-567.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2012.
"(Optimal) spatial aggregation in the determinants of industrial location,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 645-658, October.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2009. "(Optimal) Spatial Aggregation in the Determinants of Industrial Location," Working Papers 2072/42866, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Price, Richard, 1984. "Metropolitan suburbanization and central city problems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Adolfo Maza, 2006. "Migrations and Regional Convergence: The Case of Spain," Jahrbuch für Regionalwissenschaft, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 191-202, October.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1997.
"Location determinants of new foreign-owned manufacturing plants,"
1997-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000. "Location Determinants of New Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 323-351.
- Satu Nivalainen, 2004. "Determinants of family migration: short moves vs. long moves," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-175, February.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2007. "Determinants of population and jobs at a local level," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 87-104, March.
- Figueiredo, Octavio & Guimaraes, Paulo & Woodward, Douglas, 2002. "Home-field advantage: location decisions of Portuguese entrepreneurs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 341-361, September.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- María Hierro, 2009. "Modelling the dynamics of internal migration flows in Spain," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 683-692, 08.
- Mihails Hazans, 2003.
"Determinants of Inter-Regional Migration in the Baltic Countries,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p354, European Regional Science Association.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2003. "Determinants of inter-regional migration in the Baltic countries," ZEI Working Papers B 17-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- K. Newbold, 2012. "Migration and regional science: opportunities and challenges in a changing environment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 451-468, April.
- Greenwood, Michael J, 1975. "Research on Internal Migration in the United States: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 397-433, June.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1998. "A Generalized Spatial Two-Stage Least Squares Procedure for Estimating a Spatial Autoregressive Model with Autoregressive Disturbances," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 99-121, July.
- Javier Romani & Jordi Surinach & Manuel Artiis, 2003. "Are Commuting and Residential Mobility Decisions Simultaneous?: The Case of Catalonia, Spain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 813-826.
- Greenwood, Michael J. & Hunt, Gary L., 1989. "Jobs versus amenities in the analysis of metropolitan migration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Vicente Royuela & Jordi Suriñach & Mónica Reyes, 2003. "Measuring Quality of Life in Small Areas Over Different Periods of Time," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 64(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Graves, Philip E., 1980. "Migration and climate," MPRA Paper 19916, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dionysia Lambiri & Bianca Biagi & Vicente Royuela, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 1-25, October.
- B. Biagi & D. Lambiri & V. Royuela, 2006. "Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature," Working Paper CRENoS 200610, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Gonzalez, Libertad & Ortega, Francesc, 2009.
"Immigration and Housing Booms: Evidence from Spain,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4333, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Libertad Gonzalez & Francesc Ortega, 2013. "Immigration And Housing Booms: Evidence From Spain," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 37-59, 02.
- Libertad Gonzalez & Francesc Ortega, 2009. "Immigration and Housing Booms: Evidence from Spain," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0919, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Libertad González Luna & Francesc Ortega, 2009. "Immigration and housing booms: Evidence from Spain," Economics Working Papers 1167, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Manuel Arellano & Olympia Bover, 2002.
"Learning about migration decisions from the migrants: Using complementary datasets to model intra-regional migrations in Spain,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 357-380.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 2001. "Learning About Migration Decisions from the Migrants: Using Complementary Datasets to Model Intra-Regional Migrations in Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 2746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boris A. Portnov, 2004. "Long-term growth of small towns in Israel: Does location matter?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 627-653, December.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Greenwood, Michael J. & Stock, Richard, 1990. "Patterns of change in the intrametropolitan location of population, jobs, and housing: 1950 to 1980," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 243-276, September.
- Glenn Fuguitt & David Brown, 1990. "Residential preferences and population redistribution: 1972–1988," Demography, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 589-600, November.
- Antolin, Pablo & Bover, Olympia, 1997. "Regional Migration in Spain: The Effect of Personal Characteristics and of Unemployment, Wage and House Price Differentials Using Pooled Cross-Sections," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(2), pages 215-35, May.
- Guangqing Chi & Stephen J. Ventura, 2011. "An Integrated Framework of Population Change: Influential Factors, Spatial Dynamics, and Temporal Variation," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 549-570, December.
- David Mcgranahan & Timothy Wojan, 2007. "Recasting the Creative Class to Examine Growth Processes in Rural and Urban Counties," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 197-216.
- Martin JANOTKA & Vladimir GAZDA, 2012. "Modelling Of Interregional Migration In Slovakia," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 7(1(19)/ Sp), pages 48-55.
- Guangqing Chi & David Marcouiller, 2011. "Isolating the Effect of Natural Amenities on Population Change at the Local Level," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 491-505.
- Deitz, Richard, 1998. "A Joint Model of Residential and Employment Location in Urban Areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 197-215, September.
- Donald G. Freeman, 2001. "Sources of fluctuations in regional growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 249-266.
- Guangqing Chi & Jun Zhu, 2008. "Spatial Regression Models for Demographic Analysis," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 17-42, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa12p500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.