Effects of Maize Fertilizer Subsidies on Food Security in Malawi
This study employs spatial analysis to examine the impact of smallholder fertilizer subsidies on national and household food security in Malawi. It illustrates that at national level, food security is positively linked to fertilizer subsidies. However, at household level, maize production is heavily skewed with the south lagging behind the centre and the north. In the short-to-medium term, replacing the current countrywide subsidy program with a more targeted one is highly recommended. Furthermore, by diversifying into other crops or small-scale businesses, smallholders may be able to increase their income and hence food buying power.
|Date of creation:||18 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240|
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banful, Afua Branoah, 2010. "Old problems in the new solutions?," IFPRI discussion papers 1002, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Harrigan, Jane, 2008. "Food insecurity, poverty and the Malawian Starter Pack: Fresh start or false start?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 237-249, June.
- Jacob Ricker-Gilbert & Thomas S. Jayne & Ephraim Chirwa, 2010. "Subsidies and Crowding Out: A Double-Hurdle Model of Fertilizer Demand in Malawi," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 26-42.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2000. "Convergence and the effects of spatial interaction," HWWA Discussion Papers 110, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Markets and pro-poor agricultural growth: insights from livelihood and informal rural economy models in Malawi," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(2), pages 157-169, 09.
- Löfgren, Hans, 2001. "A CGE model for Malawi," TMD discussion papers 70, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Westert, Gert P. & Groenewegen, Peter P., 1999. "Regional disparities in health care supply in eleven European countries: does politics matter?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 169-182, May.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:11/14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.