Poverty Dynamics in Clusters of European Union Countries: Related Events and Main Determinants
So far the dynamics of income poverty in European countries has been analysed in a comparative perspective using the ECHP dataset, the first EU-scale panel survey ran from 1994 to 2001 in the “old” 15 member states. By means of the EU-SILC longitudinal data, the main purpose of this paper is to up-to-date such kind of analysis up to 2007 and to extend it including also the “new” EU member states. Being the time span covered by EU-SILC too short for carrying out survival analysis on poverty duration and recurrence, in this paper we focus on income poverty mobility only, identifying and analysing which are the main determinants associated to households’ fall into or exit from poverty. Analyses are carried out grouping EU countries in the five usual geographical clusters. The results show that events related to the labour market are the most important in all clusters both because of their frequency and their relevant impact on poverty transitions Demographic events are, on the contrary, everywhere, much less relevant.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.dse.univr.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenkins, Stephen P., 2011. "Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199226436.
- Francesco Devicienti & Valentina Gualtieri, 2007.
"The Dynamics and Persistence of Poverty: Evidence from Italy,"
LABORatorio R. Revelli Working Papers Series
63, LABORatorio R. Revelli, Centre for Employment Studies.
- Francesco Devicienti & Valentina Gualtieri & Mariacristina Rossi, 2010. "The Dynamics and Persistence of Poverty: Evidence from Italy," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 173, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Van Kerm, Philippe & Pi Alperin, Maria Noel, 2013. "Inequality, growth and mobility: The intertemporal distribution of income in European countries 2003–2007," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 931-939.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2011-30 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luis Ayala & Mercedes Sastre, 2008. "The structure of income mobility: empirical evidence from five UE countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 451-473, November.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007.
"Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2007-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ver:wpaper:10/2012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Reiter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.