Patterns of persistent poverty: evidence from EU-SILC
The persistent at-risk-of-poverty rate is one of the EUâ€™s 11 primary indicators of social inclusion but it has received little attention compared to the current at-risk-of-poverty rate. Using the 2008 EU Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC) database, we compare persistent income poverty rates across European nations and examine differences in poverty profiles for subgroups defined by age and sex. We draw attention to similarities between the profiles for persistent at-risk-of-poverty rates and at-risk-of-poverty rates, and are led to question the relevance of the former measure in its current form as a key EUindicator of social progress.
|Date of creation:||10 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andriopoulou, Eirini & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2011.
"The Determinants of Poverty Transitions in Europe and the Role of Duration Dependence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5692, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eirini Andriopoulou & Panagiotis Tsakloglou, . "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," DEOS Working Papers 1120, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Eirini Andriopoulou & Panagiotis Tsakloglou, . "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," DEOS Working Papers 1119, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Eirini Andriopoulou & Panagiotis Tsakloglou, . "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," DEOS Working Papers 1121, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Andriopoulou, Eirini & Tsakloglou, Panagiotis, 2011. "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," MPRA Paper 30659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van Kerm, Philippe & Pi Alperin, Maria Noel, 2013. "Inequality, growth and mobility: The intertemporal distribution of income in European countries 2003–2007," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 931-939.
- Enkeleida Tahiraj, 2007. "The EU and Social Inclusion: Facing the Challenges - By E. Marlier, A.B. Atkinson, B. Cantillon and B. Nolan," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 518-518, 06.
- Jenkins, Stephen P., 2011. "Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199226436, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2011-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.