Dimensione e dinamica della povertà nell’Unione Europea dopo l’allargamento: un’analisi comparata delle determinanti dei movimenti delle famiglie
[Poverty and inequality dynamics in the enlarged Europe: a comparative analysis of determinants of households’ movements]
The paper analyses the static and dynamic risk of poverty in the enlarged European Union. In the first part of the paper an overview of cross-sectional poverty rates in 25 European Member States (apart from Romania and Bulgaria) using several indexes is presented and assessed. In the second part, the dynamics of poverty is studied in a comparative fashion. Using longitudinal micro-level data from EU-SILC, we estimate the role of changes of several factors (e.g. employment status and hours worked, household structure, welfare cash benefits) in affecting the likelihood of falling into or leaving poverty. Our econometric analysis shows that employment status is an important factor affecting, in a significative way, transitions into and out of poverty in the European Union. Other life-course events examined and changes in welfare programs appear to been closely associated with poverty mobility, but for these factors significance and sign differ across countries
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romina Boarini & Marco Mira d'Ercole, 2006. "Measures of Material Deprivation in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 37, OECD Publishing.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time," CSAE Working Paper Series 2007-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Arnstein Aassve & Simon Burgess & Matt Dickson & Carol Propper, 2005.
"Modelling Poverty by not Modelling Poverty: An Application of a Simultaneous Hazards Approach to the UK,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
05/134, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Arnstein Aassve & Simon Burgess & Matt Dickson & Carol Propper, 2006. "Modelling poverty by not modelling poverty: an application of a simultaneous hazards approach to the UK," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6243, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Arnstein Aassve & Simon Burgess & Matt Dickson & Carol Propper, 2006. "Modelling poverty by not modelling poverty: An application of a simultaneous hazards approach to the UK," CASE Papers case106, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Aassve, Arnstein & Burgess, Simon & Dickson, Matt & Propper, Carol, 2005. "Modelling poverty by not modelling poverty: an application of a simultaneous hazards approach to the UK," ISER Working Paper Series 2005-26, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Mary Jo Bane & David T. Ellwood, 1986. "Slipping into and out of Poverty: The Dynamics of Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(1), pages 1-23.
- Duncan, Greg J & Gustafsson, Bjorn & Hauser, Richard & Schmauss, Gunther & Messinger, Hans & Muffels, Ruud & Nolan, Brian, 1993. "Poverty Dynamics in Eight Countries," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 6(3), pages 215-234.
- Tony Addison & David Hulme & Ravi Kanbur, 2008. "Poverty Dynamics: Measurement and Understanding from an Interdisciplinary Perspective," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 1908, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Addison, Tony & Hulme, David & Kanbur, Ravi, 2008. "Poverty Dynamics: Measurement and Understanding from an Interdisciplinary Perspective," Working Papers 51107, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Pablo Antolín & Thai-Thanh Dang & Howard Oxley, 1999. "Poverty Dynamics in Four OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 212, OECD Publishing.
- Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000. "Modelling household income dynamics," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 13(4), pages 529-567.
- Andrea Brandolini, 2006. "Measurement of Income Distribution in Supranational Entities: The Case of the European Union," LIS Working papers 452, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Andrea Brandolini, 2007. "Measurement of income distribution in supranational entities: the case of the European Union," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 623, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Onno Hoffmeister, 2009. "The Spatial Structure Of Income Inequality In The Enlarged Eu," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(1), pages 101-127, 03. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25567. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.