The Internationalisation of Production Activities of Italian Industrial Districts
This paper studies the evolution of the Italia industrial districts in the era of globalization. Italian districts are no longer self-contained systems of small firms where firms' competitiveness is the result of physical proximity, connected to foreign markets at the initial and the final stage of the production and distribution activity. Internationalization is analysed in the three classical forms of trade flows, foreign direct investments and foreign subcontracting. The conclusion discusses the consequences of sourcing production abroad for industrial districts. The loss of productive competences and practical knowledge, the reduction of employment and the change in the social climate that characterize the district. As a result of internationalization the final firms make profits in far away territories and the firm’s profitability is no more linked to the workers well being
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economiaEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej & Ng, Francis, 2001. "Trade and production fragmentation : Central European economies in European Union networks of production and marketing," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2611, The World Bank.
- Finger, J M, 1976. "Trade and Domestic Effects of the Offshore Assembly Provision in the U.S. Tariff," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 598-611, September.
- Raffaello Bronzini, 2007. "FDI Inflows, Agglomeration and Host Country Firms' Size: Evidence from Italy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 963-978.
- Bugamelli Matteo & Cipollone Piero & Infante Luigi, 2000. "L'internazionalizzazione delle imprese italiane negli anni Novanta," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 349-386.
- Lisa De Propris & Nigel Driffield & Stefano Menghinello, 2005. "local industrial systems and the location of FDI in Italy," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 105-121.
- R. Findlay & K. H. O'Rourke, 2001.
"Commodity market integration, 1500-2000,"
Trinity Economics Papers
200113, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Ronald Findlay & Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2001. "Commodity Market Integration, 1500-2000," NBER Working Papers 8579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald Findlay & Kevin H. O'Rourke, 2002. "Commodity market integration, 1500-2000," Discussion Papers 0102-30, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- R. Findlay & K. H. O'Rourke, 2001. "Commodity market integration, 1500-2000," CEG Working Papers 20019, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Findlay, Ronald & O'Rourke, Kevin Hjortshøj, 2002. "Commodity Market Integration 1500-2000," CEPR Discussion Papers 3125, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giuseppe Tattara & Carlo Gianelle, 2007. "Producing abroad while making profits at home:Veneto footwear and clothing industry," Working Papers 2007_35, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Ilaria Mariotti & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2004. "Internationalisation strategies of Italian district SMEs: an analysis on firm-level data," ERSA conference papers ersa04p436, European Regional Science Association.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007.
"Does FDI in Manufacturing Cause FDI in Business Services? Evidence from French Firm-Level Data,"
2007-21, CEPII research center.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2010. "Does FDI in manufacturing cause FDI in business services? Evidence from French firm-level data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 180-203, February.
- J. Finger, 1977. "Offshore assembly provisions in the West German and Netherlands Tariffs: Trade and domestic effects," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 113(2), pages 237-249, June.
- Maggi, Elena & Mariotti, Ilaria & Boscacci, Flavio, 2007. "The indirect effects of manufacturing internationalization on logistics - Evidence from the Italian districts," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp07031, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Nasser Al-Mawali, 2005. "Disentangling Total Intra-Industry Trade into Horizontal and Vertical Elements," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 491-492, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2008_13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.