Internationalisation strategies of Italian district SMEs: an analysis on firm-level data
Traditionally, scholars describe Italian industrial districts (IDs) as closed manufacturing systems of SMEs embedded in local contexts, able to interact with the outside only at the two ends of the value chain and where well-identified firms were in charge of managing the relationships with final markets (Becattini, 1989; 2002; Piore and Sabel, 1984). However, at the end of the nineteen-eighties and during the nineties, even local systems of SMEs (IDs) perceived the importance of increasing their contacts with firms outside the local district area. The emerging delocalisation process carried out by Italian district SMEs highlights their abilities to globalise not only by selling products manufactured locally in international markets (export-based perspective), but also in terms of the international reorganisation of local supply chains. The purpose of the paper is twofold. First, we investigate whether the internationalization strategies by district SMEs are independent or complementary to each other. Second, we test if they are linked to the lack of low-skilled labour force. The questions will be addressed using data-sample of about 700 district firms (Bank of Italy database). The paper is organised as follows. A general introduction is followed by a discussion of the internationalisation strategies adopted by Italian SMEs. Section three focuses on the internationalisation process of the IDs and offers a review of studies on the subject. Section four presents an empirical analysis on the process as undergone by a sample of district SMEs. The results of the econometric model are described in section five and some ideas for further research are forwarded in the conclusions.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabrizio Onida, 2001. "IDE: su che cosa fare ricerca?," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2001(111).
- van Dijk, Jouke & Pellenbarg, Piet H., 1999.
"Firm relocation decisions in The Netherlands: an ordered logit approach,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa99pa418, European Regional Science Association.
- Jouke van Dijk & Piet H. Pellenbarg, 2000. "Firm relocation decisions in The Netherlands: An ordered logit approach," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(2), pages 191-219.
- Sergio Mariotti & Marco Mutinelli & Lucia Piscitello, 2003. "Home country employment and foreign direct investment: evidence from the Italian case," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 419-431, May.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2003.
"Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis,"
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey Nugent, 2003. "Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 1-24, August.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Wilfred J. Ethier & James R. Markusen, 1991.
"Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
3825, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J. & Markusen, James R., 1996. "Multinational firms, technology diffusion and trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 1-28, August.
- Ethier, W.J. & Markusen, J.R., 1993. "Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade," ISER Discussion Paper 0303, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2001. "Overseas Investment and Firm Exports," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 108-22, February.
- Pennings, Enrico & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2000. "International relocation: firm and industry determinants," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 179-186, May.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Fragmentation and multinational production," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 935-945, April.
- Brouwer, A.E. & Mariotti, I. & Ommeren, J.N. van, 2003.
"The firm relocation decision: an empirical investigation,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0023, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Aleid E. Brouwer & Ilaria Mariotti & Jos N. van Ommeren, 2004. "The firm relocation decision: An empirical investigation," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 335-347, 06.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1998.
"Multinational firms and the new trade theory,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-203, December.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables & Denise Eby Konan & Kevin H. Zhang, 1996.
"A Unified Treatment of Horizontal Direct Investment, Vertical Direct Investment, and the Pattern of Trade in Goods and Services,"
NBER Working Papers
5696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J. & Eby Konan, Denise & Zhang, Kevin H., 1996. "A Unified Treatment of Horizontal Direct Investment, Vertical Direct Investment, and the Pattern of Trade in Goods and Services," Working Paper Series 465, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Andrea Gavosto & Alessandra Venturini & Claudia Villosio, 1999. "Do Immigrants Compete with Natives?," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 13(3), pages 603-621, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa04p436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.