Exchange Rate Effects of Portfolio Shifts?
Using the Branson model as an example, this paper seeks to clarify the role of interest rate and exchange rate changes in asset market models. Focusing on short-term adjustments, it is shown that portfolio shifts mainly affect relative interest rates in different countries. Only to the extent that portfolio shifts lead to changes in the money demand or money supply, are exchange rates affected as well. The announcement of German monetary union in 1990 is used as an example to illustrate the relative significance of interest rate changes as shock absorbers.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Reference Centre, Social Science Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C2|
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/department_working_papers.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Murphy & Carl Duyne, 1980. "Asset market approaches to exchange rate determination: A comparative analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 116(4), pages 627-656, December.
- James Tobin, 1956.
"Liquidity Preference as Behavior Towards Risk,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
14, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- James Tobin, 1982.
"Money and Finance in the Macro-Economic Process,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
613R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Laidler, David, 1984. "The 'Buffer Stock' Notion in Monetary Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 17-34, Supplemen.
- Barbara Dluhosch & Andreas Freytag & Malte KrÃ¼ger, 1996. "International Competitiveness and the Balance of Payments," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 898, June.
- William J. Baumol, 1952. "The Transactions Demand for Cash: An Inventory Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 545-556.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don E, 1981. "Theory and Implications of Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(1), pages 12-30, February.
- Michael L. Mussa, 1984. "The Theory of Exchange Rate Determination," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rate Theory and Practice, pages 13-78 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Branson, William H. & Halttunen, Hannu & Masson, Paul, 1977. "Exchange rates in the short run: The dollar-dentschemark rate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 303-324.
- William H. Branson & Dale W. Henderson, 1984.
"The Specification and Influence of Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-25, June.
- Chang, Winston W & Hamberg, Daniel & Hirata, Junichi, 1983. "Liquidity Preference as Behavior toward Risk Is a Demand for Short-Term Securities-Not Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 420-27, June.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- William H. Branson, 1985. "The Dynamic Interaction of Exchange Rates and Trade Flows," NBER Working Papers 1780, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malte Krüger, 1996. "Speculation, Hedging and Intermediation in the Foreign Exchange Market," Working Papers 9606, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Hicks, J. R., 1979. "Critical Essays in Monetary Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284239, December.
- Barro, Robert J. & Fischer, Stanley, 1976. "Recent developments in monetary theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 133-167, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwo:uwowop:9818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.