Money demand in open economies : a currency substitution model for Venezuela
This paper investigates the extent to which domestic money balances in Venezuela are influenced by foreign exchange considerations. To this end, individuals are assumed to choose the levels of foreign and domestic money that minimize the borrowing costs associated with a given level of monetary services. The solution to this optimization problem yields a closed form domestic money demand function. This specification is estimated and the results point to an elasticity of currency substitution in excess of one. Conditioned on these estimates, the paper presents estimates of the out-of-sample exchange-rate risk for the period 1981-1982, prior to the collapse of the fixed exchange rate system in 1983.
|Date of creation:||1985|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/ifdp/order.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickelsburg, Gerald, 1987. "Inflation, expectations and qualitative government policy in Ecuador, 1970-1982," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(8), pages 1077-1085, August.
- Simos, Evangelos O., 1981. "Real money balances as a productive input : Further evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 207-225.
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1982. "Monetary policy with an overrestricted demand for money equation : Chile in the 60's," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 119-126, February.
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates--reply," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 57-59, September.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1982. "Seigniorage and the Case for a National Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 295-313, April.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-625, June.
- Genberg, Hans, 1978. "Purchasing power parity under fixed and flexible exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 247-276, May.
- William Barnett, 2005.
- William Barnett, 2005. "Monetary Aggregation," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200510, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2005.
- Betty C. Daniel & Harold O. Fried, 1983. "Currency Substitution, Postal Strikes, and Canadian Money Demand," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 612-624, November.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don E, 1981. "Theory and Implications of Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 13(1), pages 12-30, February.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Cuddington, John T. & Cuddington, John T., 1983. "Currency substitution, capital mobility and money demand," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-133, August.
- Boughton, James M., 1981. "Money and its substitutes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 375-386.
- Michael R. Darby & Alan C. Stockman, 1980. "The Mark III International Transmission Model," NBER Working Papers 0462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bordo, Michael D & Choudhri, Ehsan U, 1982. "Currency Substitution and the Demand for Money: Some Evidence for Canada," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(1), pages 48-57, February.
- Michael D. Bordo & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 1980. "Currency Substitution and the Semand for Money: Some Evidence for Canada," UCLA Economics Working Papers 190, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Blejer, Mario I., 1978. "Black-market exchange-rate expectations and the domestic demand for money : Some empirical results," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 767-773, November.
- Melvin, Michael, 1985. "Currency Substitution and Western European Monetary Unification," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 79-91, February.
- Thomas, Lee R, 1985. "Portfolio Theory and Currency Substitution," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(3), pages 347-357, August.
- Carlos F. Diaz-Alejandro, 1984. "Latin American Debt: I Don't Think We Are in Kansas Anymore," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 15(2), pages 335-403. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgif:265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Franz Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.