The Politics of Fair Value Reporting and the Governance of the Standards-Setting Process: Critical Issues and Pitfalls from a European Perspective
Accounting is not simply a metric; rather it is a calculative practice which shapes the socio-economic environment. Therefore, looking only at the substance of accounting standards is sometimes inadequate. From a European Union perspective, this paper provides a general framework that deals with the potential changes in society produced by financial reporting. More specifically, it discusses fair value reporting from two points of view, which are strictly linked. The first relates to the politics of fair value accounting and its potential impact on the economic and social system, while the second relates to the governance of the standards - setting process. Financial regulation is one of the competencies of the European Union. Therefore, this paper claims that controversial issues in financial reporting should be examined in the framework of the Lisbon Treaty, which sets out the fundamental principles on which the European Union has decided to build and shape its future.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lungo Dora Siena 100, I-10153 Torino|
Phone: +39 011670 4406
Fax: +39 011670 3895
Web page: http://www.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Detragiache, Enrica & Rajan, Raghuram, 2008.
"The real effect of banking crises,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 89-112, January.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Raghuram Rajan & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "The Real Effect of Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 05/63, International Monetary Fund.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Detragiache, Enrica & Rajan, Raghuram G, 2005. "The Real Effect of Banking Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 5088, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl A. Muller III, 2002. "External Monitoring of Property Appraisal Estimates and Information Asymmetry," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 865-881, 06.
- Barth, Mary E. & Beaver, William H. & Landsman, Wayne R., 2001. "The relevance of the value relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting: another view," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 77-104, September.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2004. "Financialisation and the slowdown of accumulation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 719-741, September.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2000. "Financialization and the Slowdown of Accumulation," Working Papers geewp14, Vienna University of Economics and Business Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Nölke, Andreas & Perry, James, 2007. "The Power of Transnational Private Governance: Financialization and the IASB," Business and Politics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 1-25, December.
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2010. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 93-118, Winter.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "Did fair-value accounting contribute to the financial crisis?," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/22, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2009. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," NBER Working Papers 15515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John H., 2005. "The risk and return of venture capital," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 3-52, January.
- Cochrane, John, 2000. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7qm9h594, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- John H. Cochrane, 2001. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," NBER Working Papers 8066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Denis, Diane K. & McConnell, John J., 2003. "International Corporate Governance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 1-36, March.
- Rodrigo Cifuentes & Hyun Song Shin & Gianluigi Ferrucci, 2005. "Liquidity Risk and Contagion," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 556-566, 04/05.
- Rodrigo Cifuentes & Gianluigi Ferrucci & Hyun Song Shin, 2005. "Liquidity risk and contagion," Bank of England working papers 264, Bank of England.
- Ginglinger, Edith & Megginson, William & Waxin, Timothée, 2011. "Employee ownership, board representation, and corporate financial policies," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 868-887, September.
- Edith Ginglinger & William Megginson & Timothee Waxin, 2011. "Employee Ownership, Board Representation, and Corporate Financial Policies," Post-Print halshs-00626310, HAL.
- Fauver, Larry & Fuerst, Michael E., 2006. "Does good corporate governance include employee representation? Evidence from German corporate boards," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 673-710, December.
- Kim, Moonchul & Ritter, Jay R., 1999. "Valuing IPOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 409-437, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:dipeco:201353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.