The shortcomings of fair-value accounting described in SFAS 157
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- David Burgstahler & Michael Eames, 2006. "Management of Earnings and Analysts' Forecasts to Achieve Zero and Small Positive Earnings Surprises," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5-6), pages 633-652.
- Warren Bailey & Haitao Li & Connie X. Mao & Rui Zhong, 2003. "Regulation Fair Disclosure and Earnings Information: Market, Analyst, and Corporate Responses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2487-2514, December.
- Bartov, Eli & Givoly, Dan & Hayn, Carla, 2002. "The rewards to meeting or beating earnings expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 173-204, June.
- Caylor, Marcus L. & Lopez, Thomas J. & Rees, Lynn, 2007. "Is the value relevance of earnings conditional on the timing of earnings information?," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 62-95.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- Ron Kasznik, 2002. "Does Meeting Earnings Expectations Matter? Evidence from Analyst Forecast Revisions and Share Prices," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 727-759, June.
- Brown, Lawrence D. & Ngo Higgins, Huong, 2001. "Managing earnings surprises in the US versus 12 other countries," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4-5), pages 373-398.
- repec:bla:joares:v:37:y:1999:i:1:p:57-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kothari, S.P. & Leone, Andrew J. & Wasley, Charles E., 2005. "Performance matched discretionary accrual measures," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 163-197, February.
- Burgstahler, David & Dichev, Ilia, 1997. "Earnings management to avoid earnings decreases and losses," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, December.
- Subramanyam, K. R., 1996. "The pricing of discretionary accruals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 249-281, October.
- Brown, Lawrence D. & Higgins, Huong N., 2005. "Managers' forecast guidance of analysts: International evidence," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 280-299.
- Abarbanell, Jeffery & Lehavy, Reuven, 2003. "Biased forecasts or biased earnings? The role of reported earnings in explaining apparent bias and over/underreaction in analysts' earnings forecasts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-3), pages 105-146, December.
- Mathew, Prem G. & Michayluk, David & Kofman, Paul, 2007. "Are foreign issuers complying with Regulation Fair Disclosure?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 246-260, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gin Chong & Henry Huang & Yi Zhang, 2012. "Do US commercial banks use FAS 157 to manage earnings?," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(1), pages 78-93, February.
- Russell Craig & Wally Smieliauskas & Joel Amernic, 2014. "Assessing Conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles Using Expert Accounting Witness Evidence and the Conceptual Framework," Australian Accounting Review, CPA Australia, vol. 24(3), pages 200-206, September.
- Yuan Mingzhe & Liu Huifeng, 2011. "The Economic Consequences of Fair Value Accounting," Accounting, Economics, and Law: A Convivium, De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 1-44, April.
- TOTH Kornel & HERCZEG Adrienn, 2015. "The Effect Of Globalization On Frameworks And Concepts In Accounting," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 968-975, July.
- William L. Smith & David M. Boje & Kevin D. Melendrez, 2010. "The financial crisis and mark-to-market accounting: An analysis of cascading media rhetoric and storytelling," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(3), pages 281-303, August.
- Vighneswara Swamy & Vijayalakshmi, 2012.
"Fair value accounting in banking - issues in convergence to IFRS,"
African Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 270-280.
- Swamy, Vighneswara, 2010. "Fair value accounting in banking - Issues in convergence to IFRS," MPRA Paper 40881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Swamy, Vighneswara & S, Vijayalakshmi, 2012. "Fair Value Accounting in Banking – Issues in Convergence to IFRS," MPRA Paper 47514, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Palea, Vera, 2013. "Fair Value Accounting and Its Usefulness to Financial Statement Users," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201327, University of Turin.
- Yuan Ding & Thomas Jeanjean & Cédric Lesage & Hervé Stolowy, 2009.
"An Experiment in the Economic Consequences of Additional Disclosure: The Case of the Fair Value of Unlisted Equity Investments,"
- Cédric Lesage & Yuan Ding & Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy, 2009. "An experiment in the economic consequences of additional disclosure: The case of the Fair Value of Unlisted Equity Investments," Post-Print hal-00495573, HAL.
- Masaki Kusano, 2012. "Does the Balance Sheet Approach Improve the Usefulness of Accounting Information?," The Japanese Accounting Review, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, vol. 2, pages 139-152, December.
- Palea, Vera, 2015. "Journal Rankings and the Sustainability of Diversity in Accounting Research," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201546, University of Turin.
- Mary E. Barth & Javier Gomez-Biscarri & Ron Kasznik & GermÃ¡n LÃ³pez-Espinosa, 2012. "Fair Value Accounting, Earnings Management and the use of Available-for-Sale Instruments by Bank Managers," Faculty Working Papers 05/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- repec:wsi:rpbfmp:v:20:y:2017:i:01:n:s0219091517500060 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ray Ball & Xi Li & Lakshmanan Shivakumar, 2015. "Contractibility and Transparency of Financial Statement Information Prepared Under IFRS: Evidence from Debt Contracts Around IFRS Adoption," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 915-963, December.
- Saher Aqel, 2012. "The IASB and FASB Convergence Process: Current Developments," Acta Universitatis Danubius. OEconomica, Danubius University of Galati, issue 2(2), pages 83-105, April.
- Gaia Melloni & Riccardo Stacchezzini & Alessandro Lai, 2016. "The tone of business model disclosure: an impression management analysis of the integrated reports," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 20(2), pages 295-320, June.
- Blanca Iris Vega Castro & Pedro González Cerrud, 2016. "Professional judgment in selecting the hierarchy of fair value in Latin American companies," Contaduría y Administración, Accounting and Management, vol. 61(3), pages 441-455, Julio-Sep.
- Arber H. Hoti & Elvira K. Hoti, 2012. "Reliability of Level Three Valuations and Credit Crisis," Acta Universitatis Danubius. OEconomica, Danubius University of Galati, issue 1(1), pages 5-13, March.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009.
"The crisis of fair-value accounting: Making sense of the recent debate,"
Accounting, Organizations and Society,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6-7), pages 826-834, August.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "The crisis of fair value accounting: Making sense of the recent debate," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ulf Mohrmann & Jan Riepe & Ulrike Stefani, 2013. "Are Extensive Audits 'Good News'? Market Perceptions of Abnormal Audit Fees and Fair Value Disclosures," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2013-08, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jappol:v:27:y:2008:i:2:p:101-114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jaccpubpol .
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .