Interbank comptetition with costly screening
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Basu, Kaushik & Weibull, Jorgen W., 1991. "Strategy subsets closed under rational behavior," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 141-146, June.
- Ritzberger, Klaus & Weibull, Jorgen W, 1995. "Evolutionary Selection in Normal-Form Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1371-1399, November.
- Alan D. Morrison & Lucy White, 2004. "Financial Liberalisation and Capital Regulation in Open Economies," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe10, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Perez-Castrillo, David & Verdier, Thierry, 1995.
"Spatial competition in the banking system: Localization, cross subsidies and the regulation of deposit rates,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 889-918, May.
- Chiappori, P.A. & Perez-Castrillo, D. & Verdier, T., 1992. "Spatial Competition in the Banking System: Localization, Cross Subsidies and the Regulation of Deposit Rates," DELTA Working Papers 92-15, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Javier Suárez, 1998. "Risk-taking and the prudential regulation of banks," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(3), pages 307-336, September.
- Emons, Winand, 2001. "Imperfect Tests and Natural Insurance Monopolies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 247-268, September.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mester, Loretta J, 1994. "Why Are Credit Card Rates Sticky?," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 4(4), pages 505-530, May.
- Broecker, Thorsten, 1990. "Credit-Worthiness Tests and Interbank Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 429-452, March.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-945, September.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. "Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-1400, September.
- Robert Marquez, 2002. "Competition, Adverse Selection, and Information Dispersion in the Banking Industry," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 901-926.
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990.
"Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-1087, September.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989. "Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1998. "The Winner's Curse in Banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 359-392, October.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1993. "Market Liquidity and Performance Monitoring," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 678-709, August.
- Hurkens Sjaak, 1995. "Learning by Forgetful Players," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 304-329, November.
- Douglas Gale & Martin Hellwig, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 647-663.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elena Carletti & Agnese Leonello, 2019.
"Credit Market Competition and Liquidity Crises,"
Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 23(5), pages 855-892.
- CARLETTI, Elena & LEONELLO, Agnese, 2012. "Credit Market Competition and Liquidity Crises," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/14, European University Institute.
- Carletti, Elena & Leonello, Agnese, 2016. "Credit market competition and liquidity crises," Working Paper Series 1932, European Central Bank.
- Elena Carletti & Agnese Leonello, 2014. "Credit Market Competition and Liquidity Crises," CESifo Working Paper Series 4647, CESifo.
- Carletti, Elena & Leonello, Agnese, 2013. "Credit Market Competition and Liquidity Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 9311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Adamuz, María de las Mercedes & Hernández Cortés, Janko, 2015. "Endogenous screening and the formation of loan syndicates," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 290-307.
- de Blas, Beatriz & Russ, Katheryn Niles, 2013.
"All banks great, small, and global: Loan pricing and foreign competition,"
International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 4-24.
- Beatriz de Blas & Katheryn Niles Russ, 2010. "All Banks Great, Small, and Global: Loan pricing and foreign competition," NBER Working Papers 16029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabiana Gomez & Jorge Ponce, 2014. "Bank Competition and Loan Quality," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 215-233, December.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Qin, Jiaqi & Sun, Yan & Yu, Qianqian & Zheng, Xiang, 2020. "How does greater bank competition affect borrower screening? Evidence from China's WTO entry," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 65(C).
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Marinc, Matej, 2006.
"Competition and Entry in Banking: Implications for Stability and Capital Regulation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5518, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnoud W.A. Boot & Matej Marinc, 2006. "Competition and Entry in Banking: Implications for Stability and Capital Regulation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-015/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gene Ambrocio, 2020.
"Rational exuberance booms,"
Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 35, pages 263-282, January.
- Ambrocio, Gene, 2015. "Rational exuberance booms and asymmetric business cycles," Research Discussion Papers 24/2015, Bank of Finland.
- David Peón & Manel Antelo, 2019. "Do bad borrowers hurt good borrowers? A model of biased banking competition," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer;Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 18(1), pages 5-17, February.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Marcello Bofondi & Giorgio Gobbi, 2004. "Bad Loans and Entry into Local Credit Markets," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 509, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Florian Leon, 2015.
"What do we know about the role of bank competition in Africa?,"
- Florian LEON, 2015. "What do we know about the role of bank competition in Africa?," Working Papers 201516, CERDI.
- Robert Hauswald & Robert Marquez, 2000. "Relationship Banking and Competition under Differentiated Asymmetric Information," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Ferri, Giovanni & Murro, Pierluigi, 2015.
"Do firm–bank ‘odd couples’ exacerbate credit rationing?,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-251.
- Giovanni Ferri & Pierluigi Murro & Zeno Rotondi, 2010. "Do Firm-Bank `Odd Couples' Exacerbate Credit Rationing?," SERIES 0031, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza - Università degli Studi di Bari "Aldo Moro", revised Jul 2010.
- Giovanni Ferri & Pierluigi Murro, 2012. "Do Firm-Bank ``Odd Couples'' Exacerbate Credit Rationing?," Working Papers CASMEF 1207, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni, 2001. "Asymmetric information and the structure of the banking industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1957-1980, December.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Peretto, Pietro F., 2012.
"Credit quantity and credit quality: Bank competition and capital accumulation,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 967-998.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Pietro F. Peretto, 2009. "Credit quantity and credit quality: bank competition and capital accumulation," Staff Reports 375, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Pietro Peretto, 2010. "Credit Quantity and Credit Quality: Bank Competition and Capital Accumulation," Working Papers 10-65, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Enzo Dia, 2004. "Imperfect Information and Monopolistic Pricing in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 74, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
- Grimme, Christian, 2017. "Uncertainty and the Cost of Bank vs. Bond Finance," MPRA Paper 79852, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Curtiss, Jarmila, 2012. "Determinants of Financial Capital Use: Review of theories and implications for rural businesses," Working papers 122846, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Jason Roderick Donaldson & Giorgia Piacentino & Anjan Thakor, 2019. "Intermediation Variety," NBER Working Papers 25946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pietro Grandi & Caroline Bozou, 2018. "Bank competition and firm credit availability: firm-bank evidence from Europe," Working Papers hal-01897744, HAL.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002.
"Bank-Firm Relationships and International Banking Markets,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 401-417.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Bank-firm relationships and international banking markets," Other publications TiSEM fbb391d2-a9f9-4b49-a0f5-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Agostino, Mariarosaria & Gagliardi, Francesca & Trivieri, Francesco, 2010. "Credit market structure and bank screening: An indirect test on Italian data," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 151-160, October.
- Djedidi-Kooli, Salima, 2009. "L’accès au financement des PME en France : quel rôle joué par la structure du système bancaire ?," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/8354 edited by Etner, François, October.
- Marcel Canoy & Machiel van Dijk & Jan Lemmen & Ruud de Mooij & Jürgen Weigand, 2001. "Competition and stability in banking," CPB Document 15.rdf, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Doris Neu Berger, 1998. "Industrial Organization of Banking: A Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 97-118.
- Kirschenmann, K., 2010. "The Dynamics in Requested and Granted Loan Terms when Bank and Borrower Interact Repeatedly," Other publications TiSEM 40d5005c-1626-4511-aa8a-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hyytinen, Ari, 2003. "Information production and lending market competition," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 233-253.
- Berger, Allen N. & Espinosa-Vega, Marco A. & Frame, W. Scott & Miller, Nathan H., 2011.
"Why do borrowers pledge collateral? New empirical evidence on the role of asymmetric information,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Allen N. Berger & Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2007. "Why do borrowers pledge collateral? new empirical evidence on the role of asymmetric information," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-29, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Antje Brunner & Jan Pieter Krahnen, 2013.
"Hold-up in multiple banking: evidence from SME lending,"
International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(1/2), pages 78-101.
- Brunner, Antje & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 2010. "Hold-up in multiple banking: Evidence from SME lending," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/07, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
More about this item
KeywordsInterbank Competition; Screening; Credit Risk; Adverse Selection;
All these keywords.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:802. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.econ.upf.edu/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.econ.upf.edu/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.