Entrepreneurship, Development, and the Spatial Context Retrospect and Prospect
Entrepreneurship has been a topical issue in the business administration literature, but in the past decade a wave of interest can be observed on the role of entrepreneurship in the economic growth literature. This paper aims to highlight the various contributions to the entrepreneurship literature from the perspective of regional economic development. After a broad overview, particular attention is given to the regional action space of entrepreneurs, including their social and spatial network involvement. The paper concludes with a future research agenda.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul M, 1996. "Ethnic Networks and Language Proficiency among Immigrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 19-35, February.
- Roberta Capello, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and spatial externalities: Theory and measurement," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 387-402.
- Richard Florida & Zoltan Acs & Sam Youl Lee, 2004.
"Creativity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis of New Firm Formation,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-17, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Sam Youl Lee & Richard Florida & Zoltan Acs, 2004. "Creativity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis of New Firm Formation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 879-891.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. " Investment in Entrepreneurial Ability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 437-48.
- Kolko, Jed, 2001.
"Silicon Mountains, Silicon Molehills. Geographic Concentration and Convergence of Internet Industries in the US,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kolko, Jed, 2002. "Silicon mountains, silicon molehills: geographic concentration and convergence of internet industries in the US," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 211-232, June.
- Barro, Robert J, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enno Masurel & Peter Nijkamp & Murat Tastan & Gabriella Vindigni, 2001.
"Motivations and Performance Conditions for Ethnic Entrepreneurship,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-048/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Enno Masurel & Peter Nijkamp, 2002. "Motivations and Performance Conditions for Ethnic Entrepreneurship," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 238-260.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Attila Varga, 2003. "Spatial knowledge spillovers and university research: Evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 303-322, 05.
- Roger R. Stough, 2003. "Strategic management of places and policy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 179-201, 05.
- Hadewijch van Delft & Cees Gorter & Peter Nijkamp, 1999.
"In Search of Ethnic Entrepreneurship Opportunities in the City - A Comparative Policy Study,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
99-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hadewijch van Delft & Cees Gorter & Peter Nijkamp, 2000. "In search of ethnic entrepreneurship opportunities in the city: a comparative policy study," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 18(4), pages 429-451, August.
- E. Wayne Nafziger, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and Development," Chapters, in: International Handbook of Development Economics, Volumes 1 & 2, chapter 26 Edward Elgar.
- Mehlum,H. & Moene,K. & Torvik,R., 2000.
"Predator or prey? : parasitic enterprises in economic development,"
27/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Mehlum, Halvor & Moene, Karl & Torvik, Ragnar, 2003. "Predator or prey?: Parasitic enterprises in economic development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 275-294, April.
- George J. Borjas, 1994.
"Ethnicity, Neighborhoods, and Human Capital Externalities,"
NBER Working Papers
4912, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borjas, George J, 1995. "Ethnicity, Neighborhoods, and Human-Capital Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 365-90, June.
- Michael E. Porter, 2000. "Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 14(1), pages 15-34, February.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew D. Mellinger, 1998. "Geography and Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 6849, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Roper, 2001. "Innovation, Networks and Plant Location: Some Evidence for Ireland," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 215-228.
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- George J. Borjas, 1991.
"Ethnic Capital and Intergenerational Mobility,"
NBER Working Papers
3788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nijkamp, Peter, 2000.
"Entrepreneurship in a modern network economy,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0042, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- K Morgan, 1991. "Competition and collaboration in electronics: what are the prospects for Britain?," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(10), pages 1459-1482, October.
- Aura Reggiani & Peter Nijkamp (ed.), 2006. "Spatial Dynamics, Networks and Modelling," Books, Edward Elgar, number 3887, 6.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Thomas Scherngell & Eva Jansenberger, 2005. "The Geography of Knowledge Spillovers between High-Technology Firms in Europe - Evidence from a Spatial Interaction Modelling Perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa05p5, European Regional Science Association.
- Stefano Breschi, 2000. "The Geography of Innovation: A Cross-sector Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 213-229.
- Kormendi, Roger C. & Meguire, Philip G., 1985. "Macroeconomic determinants of growth: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 141-163, September.
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C. & Scheinberg, Sari, 1992. "Elitists, risk-takers, and rugged individualists? An exploratory analysis of cultural differences between entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 115-135, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:rp2009-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.