A Schumpeterian Model of Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Regional Economic Growth
The authors provide the first theoretical analysis of a one-sector, discrete-time, Schumpeterian model of growth in a regional economy in which consumers are risk neutral, there is no population growth, monopolistic entrepreneurs produce intermediate goods, and a single consumption good is produced competitively. The authors' analysis generates several new results. In the deterministic model, R&D in time t surely leads to an innovation in time t + 1. In this setting, the authors show that relative to the balanced growth path (BGP) equilibrium, the social planner always allocates more labor to R&D and hence achieves a larger size of innovation and a higher growth rate. Next, in the stochastic model, R&D in time t probabilistically leads to an innovation in time t + 1. In this setting, the authors first define the equilibrium and the steady state BGP allocations. Second, the authors generalize the notion of the steady state and determine the number of unemployed workers. Third, the authors show that the regional economy experiences bursts of unemployment followed by periods of full employment. Finally, the authors show that a decline in the time discount rate increases the average growth rate and the average unemployment.
Volume (Year): 35 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1991.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 43-61.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ledders In The Theory Of Growth," Papers 148, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989. "Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth," NBER Working Papers 3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Teresa de Noronha Vaz & Peter Nijkamp, 2009.
"Knowledge and innovation: The strings between global and local dimensions of sustainable growth,"
Entrepreneurship & Regional Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 441-455, July.
- Noronha Vaz, T. de & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Knowledge and innovation: the strings between global and local dimensions of sustainable growth," Serie Research Memoranda 0042, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Dave Valliere & Rein Peterson, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and economic growth: Evidence from emerging and developed countries," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(5-6), pages 459-480, September.
- Michael Schwartz & Maximilian Göthner, 2009. "A multidimensional evaluation of the effectiveness of business incubators: an application of the PROMETHEE outranking method," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(6), pages 1072-1087, December.
- Jason Henderson & Stephan Weiler, 2010. "Entrepreneurs and Job Growth: Probing the Boundaries of Time and Space," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 24(1), pages 23-32, February.
- Nijkamp, Peter, 2009. "Entrepreneurship, Development, and the Spatial Context Retrospect and Prospect," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Steven C. Michael & John A. Pearce, 2009. "The need for innovation as a rationale for government involvement in entrepreneurship," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 285-302, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:inrsre:v:35:y:2012:i:3:p:339-361. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.