Policy Space to Prevent and Mitigate Financial Crises in Trade and Investment Agreements
Do nations have the policy space to deploy capital controls in order to prevent and mitigate financial crises? This paper examines the extent to which measures to mitigate this crisis and prevent future crises are permissible under a variety of bilateral, regional and multilateral trade and investment agreements. It is found that the United States trade and investment agreements, and to a lesser extent the WTO, leave little room to manoeuvre when it comes to capital controls. This is the case despite the increasing economic evidence showing that certain capital controls can be useful in preventing or mitigating financial crises. It also stands in contrast with investment rules under the IMF, OECD and the treaties of most capital exporting nations which allow for at least the temporary use of capital controls as a safeguard measure. Drawing on the comparative analysis conducted in the paper, the author offers a range of policies that could be deployed to make the United States investment rules more consistent with the rules of its peers and the economic realities of the 21st century.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Palais des Nations, CH - 1211 Geneva 10|
Phone: +41 22 907 12 34
Fax: +41 22 907 00 43
Web page: http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Page.asp?intItemID=2101&lang=1
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Magud & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2005.
"Capital Controls: An Evaluation,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2005-19, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Dani Rodrik & Arvind Subramanian, 2009. "Why Did Financial Globalization Disappoint?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 112-138, April.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar S. & Taylor, Ashley D., 2009.
"Thresholds in the process of international financial integration,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5149, The World Bank.
- Ayhan Kose, M. & Prasad, Eswar S. & Taylor, Ashley D., 2011. "Thresholds in the process of international financial integration," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 147-179, February.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Taylor, Ashley D., 2009. "Thresholds in the Process of International Financial Integration," IZA Discussion Papers 4133, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar S. Prasad & Ashley D. Taylor, 2009. "Thresholds in the Process of International Financial Integration," NBER Working Papers 14916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Salacuse, Jeswald W., 2010. "The Law of Investment Treaties," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199206056, December.
- Jörg Mayer, 2008.
"Policy Space: What, For What, And Where?,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
191, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Valckx, Nico, 2004.
"WTO financial services commitments: Determinants and impact on financial stability,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 517-541.
- Nico Valckx, 2002. "WTO Financial Services Commitments; Determinants and Impacton Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 02/214, International Monetary Fund.
- Anne van Aaken & Jürgen Kurtz, 2009. "Prudence or Discrimination? Emergency Measures, the Global Financial Crisis and International Economic Law," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 859-894, December.
- Laura Alfaro, 2004. "Capital Controls: a Political Economy Approach," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 571-590, 09.
- Alexei P Kireyev, 2002. "Liberalization of Trade in Financial Services and Financial Sector Stability (Analytical Approach)," IMF Working Papers 02/138, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unc:g24pap:58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joerg Mayer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.