The International Regulatory Regime on Capital Flows and Trade in Services
Capital controls and exchange restrictions are used to restrict international capital flows during economic crises. This paper looks at the legal implications of these restrictions and explores the current international regulatory framework applicable to international capital movements and current payments. It shows how international capital flows suffer from the lack of a comprehensive and coherent regulatory framework that would harmonize the patchwork of multilateral, regional, and bilateral treaties that currently regulate this issue.
|Date of creation:||04 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamsonn, John & Drabek, Zdenek, 1999.
"Whether and when to liberalize capital account and financial services,"
WTO Staff Working Papers
ERAD-99-03, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Williamson, J. & Drabek, Z., 1999. "Whether and When to Liberalize Capital Account and Financial Services," Economic Research and Analysis Division (ERAD) 99-03, World Trade Organization. Economic Research and Analysis Division (ERAD).
- Christopher J. Neely, 1999. "An introduction to capital controls," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 13-30.
- Schulze,Gunther G., 2010.
"The Political Economy of Capital Controls,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521142854, Junio.
- Natalia Tamirisa, 2003.
"Trade in Financial Services and Capital Movements,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 47-66, August.
- Brad J. McDonald & Geoffrey J Bannister & Natalia T. Tamirisa & Piritta Sorsa & Jaroslaw Wieczorek, 2000. "Trade Policy in Financial Services," IMF Working Papers 00/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Kono, Masamichi & Schuknecht, Ludger, 1999. "Financial services trade, capital flows, and financial stability," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-98-12, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Schuknecht, Ludger, 1998. "A simple trade policy perspective on capital controls," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-98-11, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.