The International Regulatory Regime on Capital Flows and Trade in Services
Capital controls and exchange restrictions are used to restrict international capital flows during economic crises. This paper looks at the legal implications of these restrictions and explores the current international regulatory framework applicable to international capital movements and current payments. It shows how international capital flows suffer from the lack of a comprehensive and coherent regulatory framework that would harmonize the patchwork of multilateral, regional, and bilateral treaties that currently regulate this issue.
|Date of creation:||04 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schulze,Gunther G., 2000.
"The Political Economy of Capital Controls,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521582223, November.
- Natalia Tamirisa, 2003.
"Trade in Financial Services and Capital Movements,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 24(1), pages 47-66, August.
- Christopher J. Neely, 1999. "An introduction to capital controls," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 13-30.
- Williamsonn, John & Drabek, Zdenek, 1999. "Whether and when to liberalize capital account and financial services," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-99-03, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Brad J. McDonald & Geoffrey J Bannister & Natalia T. Tamirisa & Piritta Sorsa & Jaroslaw Wieczorek, 2000. "Trade Policy in Financial Services," IMF Working Papers 00/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Kono, Masamichi & Schuknecht, Ludger, 1999. "Financial services trade, capital flows, and financial stability," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-98-12, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Schuknecht, Ludger, 1998. "A simple trade policy perspective on capital controls," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-98-11, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0338. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.