Capital Account Openness and Bankruptcies
This paper presents a model where opening the capital account of an economy causes more bankruptcies to take place in the non tradables sector. Non tradable firms must forecast the future state of the economy when investing since the demand for their goods depends on this. In our model the interest rate is a powerful signal that non tradable firms use when the capital account is closed, but its informational content decreases once the capital account opens up and international (as well as domestic) shocks affect it.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Daniela Klingebiel & Maria Soledad Martinez-Peria, 2001. "Is the crisis problem growing more severe?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 51-82, 04.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz, 1995.
"Information sharing and tax competition among governments,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 103-121, August.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Maria Paz Espinosa, 1993. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0028, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Bacchetta, P. & Paz Espinosa, M., 1992. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 173.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar S Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries; Some Empirical Evidence," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2000. "Capital Market Liberalization, Economic Growth, and Instability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1075-1086, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Capital Mobility and Economic Performance: Are Emerging Economies Different?," NBER Working Papers 8076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:zbw:wtowps:99-03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Williamson, J. & Drabek, Z., 1999.
"Whether and When to Liberalize Capital Account and Financial Services,"
Economic Research and Analysis Division (ERAD)
99-03, World Trade Organization. Economic Research and Analysis Division (ERAD).
- Williamsonn, John & Drabek, Zdenek, 1999. "Whether and when to liberalize capital account and financial services," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-99-03, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Williamson, J. & Drabek, Z., 1999. "Whether and When to Liberalize Capital Account and Financial Services," Papers 99-03, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Carlos Arteta & Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 2001.
"When Does Capital Account Liberalization Help More than It Hurts?,"
NBER Working Papers
8414, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arteta, Carlos & Eichengreen, Barry & Wyplosz, Charles, 2001. "When Does Capital Account Liberalization Help More Than it Hurts?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2910, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 1992.
"The Politics of 1992: Fiscal Policy and European Integration,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 59(4), pages 689-701.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1991. "The Politics of 1992: Fiscal Policy and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 1990. "The Politics of 1992: Fiscal Policy and European Integration," NBER Working Papers 3460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2004.
"Financial Development and the Instability of Open Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
10246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2004. "Financial development and the instability of open economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1077-1106, September.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Aghion, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2004. "Financial Development and the Instability of Open Economies," Scholarly Articles 4554209, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marco Terrones & Eswar S Prasad & Ayhan Kose, 2003. "Financial Integration and Macroeconomic Volatility," IMF Working Papers 03/50, International Monetary Fund.
- Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L, 2001. "International Financial Liberalization, Corruption, and Economic Growth," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 727-737, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:0542. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.