A matching estimator based on a bi-level optimization problem
This paper proposes a matching estimator where the size of the weights and the number of neighbors are endogenously determined from the solution of a bi-level optimization problem. The first level problem minimizes the distance between the characteristics of an individual and a convex combination of characteristics of individuals belonging to the corresponding counterfactual set, and with the second level we choose a solution point of the first level that minimizes the sum of the distances between the characteristics of the individual under analysis and those from the counterfactuals employed in the optimal convex combination. We show that this estimator is consistent and asymptotically normal. Finally we study its behavior in finite samples by performing Monte Carlo experiments with designs based on the related literature. In terms of bias, standard deviation and mean square error, we find significant improvements using our estimator in comparison to the simple matching estimator, widely employed in the literature.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2008.
"On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1537-1557, November.
- Imbens, Guido & Abadie, Alberto, 2008. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," Scholarly Articles 3043415, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," NBER Technical Working Papers 0325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008.
"Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Scholarly Articles 3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per & Sjöstedt-de Luna, Sara, 2010.
"Bootstrap Inference for K-Nearest Neighbour Matching Estimators,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per & Sjöstedt-de Luna, Sara, 2010. "Bootstrap inference for K-nearest neighbour matching estimators," Working Paper Series 2010:13, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:wpaper:wp351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatiana Reyes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.