Assessing the Impacts of and Response to the 1997-98 Asian Financial Crisis through a Child Rights Lens
The 'miracle' of East Asia and economic growth was brought to a standstill when the Asian financial crisis hit in 1997, unleashing a range of economic, political and social consequences across the region and exposing this transformation as fragile and unstable. This working paper examine the macro-micro impacts of the 1990s crisis in order to assesst he impact pathways through which macroeconomic shocks affected children, youth and caregivers, and the extent to which different packages of economic and social policy responses mitigated the negative impacts on child well-being. If focuses on four countries most affected by the crisis: Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia and Thailand.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 212 326 7000
Fax: +1 212 888 7454
Web page: http://www.unicef.orgEmail:
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.unicef.org/publications/socialpolicy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Das, Jishnu & Do, Quy-Toan & Friedman, Jed & McKenzie,David, 2008.
"Mental health patterns and consequences : results from survey data in five developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4495, The World Bank.
- Jishnu Das & Quy-Toan Do & Jed Friedman & David McKenzie, 2008. "Mental Health Patterns and Consequences: Results from Survey Data in Five Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 31-55, August.
- Ferreira, Francisco & Prennushi, Giovanna & Ravallion, Martin, 1999. "Protecting the poor from macroeconomic shocks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2160, The World Bank.
- Lisa A. Cameron, 2001.
"The Impact of the Indonesian Financial Crisis on Children: An analysis using the 100 villages data,"
Innocenti Working Papers
inwopa01/10, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Lisa Cameron, 2001. "The Impact Of The Indonesian Financial Crisis On Children: An Analysis Using The 100 Villages Data," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 43-64.
- Dhanani, Shafiq & Islam, Iyanatul, 2002. "Poverty, Vulnerability and Social Protection in a Period of Crisis: The Case of Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1211-1231, July.
- Duncan Thomas, 2008.
"Psychological Health Before, During, and After an Economic Crisis: Results from Indonesia, 1993--2000,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 57-76, November.
- Friedman, Jed & Thomas, Duncan, 2007. "Psychological health before, during, and after an economic crisis : results from Indonesia, 1993 - 2000," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4386, The World Bank.
- Asep Suryahadi & Sudarno Sumarto & Lant Pritchett, 2003. "Evolution of Poverty During the Crisis in Indonesia," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 221-241, 09.
- Elizabeth Frankenberg & Duncan Thomas & Kathleen Beegle, 1999.
"The Real Costs of Indonesian Economic Crisis: Preliminary Findings from the Indonesia Family Life Surveys,"
99-04, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Frankenberg, E. & Thomas, D. & Beegle, K., 1999. "The Real Costs of Indonesia's Economic Crisis: Preliminary Findings from the Indonesia Family Life Surveys," Papers 99-04, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Fabrizio Bresciani & Gershon Feder & Daniel O. Gilligan & Hanan G. Jacoby & Tongroj Onchan & Jaime Quizon, 2002. "Weathering the Storm: The Impact of the East Asian Crisis on Farm Households in Indonesia and Thailand," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 17(1), pages 1-20.
- Chris Manning, 2002. "Structural Change, Economic Crisis and International Labour Migration in East Asia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 359-385, 03.
- Block, Steven A. & Kiess, Lynnda & Webb, Patrick & Kosen, Soewarta & Moench-Pfanner, Regina & Bloem, Martin W. & Peter Timmer, C., 2004. "Macro shocks and micro outcomes: child nutrition during Indonesia's crisis," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 21-44, March.
- Lisa A. Cameron, 2001. "An Analysis of the Role of Social Safety Net Scholarships in Reducing School Drop-Out during the Indonesian Economic Crisis," Innocenti Working Papers inwopa01/11, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Edmonds, Eric & Turk, Carrie, 2002. "Child labor in transition in Vietnam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2774, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2000. "Malaysia Public Expenditures : Managing the Crisis; Challenging the Future," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15186, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uce:wpaper:1002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Clara Osorio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.