A simple microfoundation for the utilization of fragmentation indexes to measure the performance of a team
We propose a simple non-cooperative game model where two fragmented teams compete to increase their performance. The theoretical framework is based on the theory of conflict. We show that depending on the value of a parameter in the model, the power of the competing teams may be expressed as a function of well-known fragmentation indexes: the Herfindhal-Hirschman index, the Laakso-Taagepera index, the Best shot index and the Weakest-link index.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex|
Phone: 02 23 23 35 63
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://www.condorcet-center.fr
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josep M. Colomer, 2005.
"It's Parties That Choose Electoral Systems (or, Duverger's Laws Upside Down),"
Political Studies Association, vol. 53, pages 1-21, 03.
- Josep M. Colomer, 2005. "It's parties that choose electoral systems (or Duverger's Law upside down)," Economics Working Papers 812, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jane, Wen-Jhan, 2010. "Raising salary or redistributing it: A panel analysis of Major League Baseball," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 297-299, May.
- Levine, David, 1989.
"Cohesiveness, Productivity, and Wage Dispersion,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt8kd4d0p4, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Benoît Maux & Yvon Rocaboy & Timothy Goodspeed, 2011.
"Political fragmentation, party ideology and public expenditures,"
Springer, vol. 147(1), pages 43-67, April.
- Benoît Le Maux & Yvon Rocaboy & Timothy Goodspeed, 2011. "Political fragmentation, party ideology and public expenditures," Post-Print halshs-00453174, HAL.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Yvon Rocaboy & Benoit Le Maux, 2011. "Political fragmentation, Party ideology and Public expenditures," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 435, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Benoît Le Maux & Yvon Rocaboy, 2009. "Political fragmentation, party ideology and public expenditures," Post-Print halshs-00422066, HAL.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1983. "From weakest-link to best-shot: The voluntary provision of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 371-386, January.
- Padovano, Fabio & Venturi, Larissa, 2001. "Wars of Attrition in Italian Government Coalitions and Fiscal Performance: 1948-1994," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 109(1-2), pages 15-54, October.
- Ghislain Dutheil de la Rochère & Jean-Michel Josselin & Yvon Rocaboy, 2011.
"The role of aggregation technologies in the provision of supranational public goods: A reconsideration of NATO’s strategies,"
The Review of International Organizations,
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 85-103, March.
- Ghislain Dutheil de La Rochère & Jean-Michel Josselin & Yvon Rocaboy, 2010. "The role of aggregation technologies in the provision of supranational public goods: A reconsideration of NATO's strategies," Post-Print halshs-00559406, HAL.
- Keith Hartley & Todd Sandler, 2001. "Economics of Alliances: The Lessons for Collective Action," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 869-896, September.
- Stergios Skaperdas, 1996.
"Contest success functions (*),"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 283-290.
- Simmons, Rob & Berri, David J., 2011. "Mixing the princes and the paupers: Pay and performance in the National Basketball Association," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 381-388, June.
- Edward P. Lazear & Sherwin Rosen, 1979.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
0401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DepkenII, Craig A., 2000. "Wage disparity and team productivity: evidence from major league baseball," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 87-92, April.
- Schaltegger, Christoph A. & Feld, Lars P., 2009. "Do large cabinets favor large governments? Evidence on the fiscal commons problem for Swiss Cantons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-2), pages 35-47, February.
- George A. Akerlof & Janet L. Yellen, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-283.
- Wen-Jhan Jane & Gee San & Yi-Pey Ou, 2009. "The Causality between Salary Structures and Team Performance: A Panel Analysis in a Professional Baseball League," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 4(2), pages 136-150, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cccrwp:2011-02-ccr. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.