Raising salary or redistributing it: A panel analysis of Major League Baseball
Using data in Major League Baseball (MLB), this article conducts Panel Granger Causality tests for teams' salary structures and corresponding performance. The results show that a reliable way to enhance performance is to compress salaries rather than to enlarge the payroll.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lazear, Edward P & Rosen, Sherwin, 1981.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 841-864, October.
- Edward P. Lazear & Sherwin Rosen, 1979. "Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts," NBER Working Papers 0401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Hall & Stefan Szymanski & Andrew S. Zimbalist, 2002. "Testing the Causality between Team Performance and Payroll: The Cases of Major League Baseball and English Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(2), pages 149-168, May.
- Saumitra N. Bhaduri & S. Raja Sethu Durai, 2006. "Empirical relationship between the dividend and investment decision: do emerging market firms behave differently?," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 155-158, May.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003. "Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Wen-Jhan Jane & Gee San & Yi-Pey Ou, 2009. "The Causality between Salary Structures and Team Performance: A Panel Analysis in a Professional Baseball League," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 4(2), pages 136-150, May.
- Erkan Erdil & I. Hakan Yetkiner, 2004. "A Panel Data Approach for Income-Health Causality," Working Papers FNU-47, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Apr 2004.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6159 is not listed on IDEAS
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)