Salary distribution and team performance in Major League Baseball
This paper presents evidence that payroll inequality within a team is negatively related to on field performance, in terms of team winning percentages in Major League Baseball. This relationship is increasing over time during the sample period and robust to changes in the relationship between payroll and winning. We find strong evidence that, in levels, total team payroll and team specific Gini coefficients are nonstationary. The results also indicate that there exists a structural break in the relationship between payroll, inequality, and winning percent following the strike of 1994-1995.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arup Bose & Debashis Pal & David E. M. Sappington, 2010.
"Equal Pay for Unequal Work: Limiting Sabotage in Teams,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 25-53, 03.
- Debashis Pal & Arup Bose & David Sappington, 2008. "Equal Pay for Unequal Work: Limiting Sabotage in Teams," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2008-07, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Frederick Wiseman & Sangit Chatterjee, 2003. "Team payroll and team performance in major league baseball: 1985-2002," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 1(2), pages 1-10.
- DepkenII, Craig A., 2000. "Wage disparity and team productivity: evidence from major league baseball," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 87-92, April.
- R. Todd jewell & David J. Molina, 2004. "Productive Efficiency and Salary Distribution: The Case of US Major League Baseball," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(1), pages 127-142, 02.
- Levine, David, 1989.
"Cohesiveness, Productivity, and Wage Dispersion,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt8kd4d0p4, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- R. Todd Jewell & Michael A. McPherson & David J. Molina, 2004. "Testing the Determinants of Income Distribution in Major League Baseball," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(3), pages 469-482, July.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2003:i:2:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Donald Richards & Robert Guell, 1998. "Baseball success and the structure of salaries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 291-296.
- Stephen Hall & Stefan Szymanski & Andrew S. Zimbalist, 2002. "Testing the Causality between Team Performance and Payroll: The Cases of Major League Baseball and English Soccer," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(2), pages 149-168, May.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1990. "The Fair Wage-Effort Hypothesis and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 255-83, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spomar:v:14:y:2011:i:2:p:167-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.