La dispersion salariale stimule-t-elle la performance d'une firme?
Workers are used to compare their wages with those of their co-workers. As a result, it is argued that the dispersion of wages within a firm has a significant impact on the individual workers’ productivity and thus on the average firm performance. However, there is no consensus about the sign and shape of the relationship between wage dispersion and firm performance. On the one hand, the “tournament” models (e.g., Lazear and Rosen, 1981) stress the positive influence of wage inequality within a firm on the workers’ effort. These models suggest the implementation of a differentiated prize structure and to award the largest prize to the most productive worker. On the other hand, other theories argue for some degree of wage compression within a firm by emphasising the importance of fairness and cooperation among the workforce (e.g., Akerlof and Yellen, 1990 ; Levine, 1991). The aim of this paper is to provide a critical summary of the literature regarding the interaction between intra-firm wage dispersion and firm performance. Particular attention is devoted to the empirical results that have been obtained for the Belgian economy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in: Reflets et Perspectives de la Vie Economique (2005) v.XLIV n° 2,p.63-70|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP135, 50, avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald Richards & Robert Guell, 1998. "Baseball success and the structure of salaries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 291-296.
- Hibbs Jr., Douglas A. & Locking, Håkan, 2000.
"Wage Dispersion and Productive Efficiency: Evidence For Sweden,"
Working Papers in Economics
21, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Hibbs, Douglas A, Jr & Locking, Hakan, 2000. "Wage Dispersion and Productive Efficiency: Evidence for Sweden," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(4), pages 755-82, October.
- Levine, David, 1989.
"Cohesiveness, Productivity, and Wage Dispersion,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt8kd4d0p4, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & François Rycx, 2009.
"Wage Structure and Firm Productivity in Belgium,"
in: The Structure of Wages: An International Comparison, pages 179-215
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & François Rycx, 2009. "Wage structure and firm productivity in Belgium," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8733, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & Francois Rycx, 2007. "Wage Structure and Firm Productivity in Belgium," NBER Working Papers 12978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Plasman & Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2005. "Wage structure and firm productivity in Belgium," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8058, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Milgrom, Paul R, 1988.
"Employment Contracts, Influence Activities, and Efficient Organization Design,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 42-60, February.
- Paul R. Milgrom., 1987. "Employment Contracts, Influence Activities and Efficient Organization Design," Economics Working Papers 8741, University of California at Berkeley.
- Milgrom, Paul R., 1987. "employment contracts, influence activities and efficient organization design," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6pf6c5j6, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- DepkenII, Craig A., 2000. "Wage disparity and team productivity: evidence from major league baseball," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 87-92, April.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1989. "Pay Equality and Industrial Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 561-580, June.
- Lazear, Edward P & Rosen, Sherwin, 1981.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 841-864, October.
- Bingley, P. & Eriksson, T, 2001.
"Pay Spread and Skewness. Employee Effort and Firm Productivity,"
01-2, Aarhus School of Business - Department of Economics.
- Bingley, Paul & Eriksson, Tor, 2001. "Pay Spread and Skewness, Employee Effort and Firm Productivity," Working Papers 01-2, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Fredrik Heyman, 2005.
"Pay inequality and firm performance: evidence from matched employer-employee data,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(11), pages 1313-1327.
- Heyman, Fredrik, 2002. "Pay Inequality and Firm Performance: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," Working Paper Series 186, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Eriksson, Tor, 1999. "Executive Compensation and Tournament Theory: Empirical Tests on Danish Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 262-80, April.
- repec:sae:ilrrev:v:43:y:1990:i:3:p:13-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Solow, Robert M., 1979. "Another possible source of wage stickiness," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 79-82.
- Main, Brian G M & O'Reilly, Charles A, III & Wade, James, 1993. "Top Executive Pay: Tournament or Teamwork?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(4), pages 606-28, October.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & François Rycx, 2003. "Intra-firm wage dispersion and fîrm performance: a review and empirical tests on Belgian data," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 46(4), pages 5-30.
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1988. "Fairness and Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 44-49, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulb:ulbeco:2013/7846. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.