Foreclosing Competition through Access Charges and Price Discrimination
This article analyzes competition between two asymmetric networks, an incumbent and a new entrant. Networks compete in non-linear tariffs and may charge different prices for on-net and off-net calls. Departing from cost-based access pricing allows the incumbent to foreclose the market in a profitable way. If the incumbent benefits from customer inertia, then it has an incentive to insist on the highest possible access markup even if access charges are reciprocal and even in the absence of actual switching costs. If instead the entrant benefits from customer activism, then foreclosure is profitable only when switching costs are large enough.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2006.
"On-Net and Off-Net Pricing on Asymmetric Telecommunications Networks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5588, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2007. "On-net and off-net pricing on asymmetric telecommunications networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-188, June.
- de Bijl, Paul W. J. & Peitz, Martin, 2004.
"Dynamic regulation and entry in telecommunications markets: a policy framework,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 411-437, September.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & Peitz, M., 2004. "Dynamic Regulation and Entry in Telecommunications Markets : A Policy Framework," Discussion Paper 2004-010, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Armstrong, Mark & Wright, Julian, 2007. "Mobile call termination in the UK," MPRA Paper 2344, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: II. Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 38-56, Spring.
- repec:dgr:kubtil:2004010 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joan Calzada & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2008.
"Network Competition and Entry Deterrence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1223-1244, 08.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gans, J.S. & King, S.P., 2000.
"Using 'Bill and Keep' Interconnect Arrangements to Soften Network Competiti on,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
739, The University of Melbourne.
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P., 2001. "Using 'bill and keep' interconnect arrangements to soften network competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 413-420, June.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1998. "Network Interconnection in Telecommunications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 545-64, May.
- Genakos, Christos D. & Valletti, Tommaso, 2009.
"Testing the "Waterbed" Effect in Mobile Telephony,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2007. "Testing the "waterbed" effect in mobile telephony," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19680, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2007. "Testing the "Waterbed" Effect in Mobile Telephony," CEP Discussion Papers dp0827, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2008. "Testing the “Waterbed” Effect in Mobile Telephony," CEIS Research Paper 110, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 11 Jul 2008.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2003. "Price Regulation of Access to Telecommunications Networks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 830-862, September.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: I. Overview and Nondiscriminatory Pricing," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 1-37, Spring.
- Mark Armstrong & Julian Wright, 2009. "Mobile Call Termination," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F270-F307, 06.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521066631 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cambini, Carlo & Valletti, Tommaso, 2005. "Information Exchange and Competition in Communications Networks," CEPR Discussion Papers 5031, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1996. "Competition for Deposits, Fragility, and Insurance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 184-216, April.
- Michael Carter & Julian Wright, 2003. "Asymmetric Network Interconnection," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 27-46, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:21932. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.