The Effect of On-net/Off-net Differentiation and Heterogeneous Consumers on Network Size in Mobile Telecommunications An Agent-based Approach
I explore the effects of on-net / off-net differentiation on network sizes in mobile telecommunications when both rational and non-rational consumers coexist in the market. In particular, three different types of consumers are modeled: (1) fully informed rational (FIR) consumers who are perfectly informed about the true market shares of all networks and choose the network with the lowest expected cost of a call; (2) partly informed rational (PIR) consumers who only observe market shares within a circular sensing field and choose the network with the lowest expected cost of a call based on these observed market shares; and (3) non-rational (NR) consumers who choose the network with the highest market share among their immediate neighbors. Using an agent-based simulation approach and by systematical variation of four key parameters of the model, three key results emerge. First, if the share of FIR consumers is too high, all consumers will eventually join the initially larger network A. Second, if their share in the population is sufficiently large, NR consumers can prevent the growth of clusters of consumers subscribed to network B. Third, if the share of PIR consumers is high, clusters of consumers subscribed to network B can grow, thereby increasing network B s market share, provided that the radius of their circular sensing field is small enough for the cluster size.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2006.
"On-Net and Off-Net Pricing on Asymmetric Telecommunications Networks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5588, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2007. "On-net and off-net pricing on asymmetric telecommunications networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-188, June.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: II. Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 38-56, Spring.
- Haucap, Justus & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2011.
"Consumer behavior towards on-net/off-net price differentiation,"
DICE Discussion Papers
16, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Haucap, Justus & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2011. "Consumer behavior towards on-net/off-net price differentiation," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 325-332, May.
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P., 2001.
"Using 'bill and keep' interconnect arrangements to soften network competition,"
Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 413-420, June.
- Gans, J.S. & King, S.P., 2000. "Using 'Bill and Keep' Interconnect Arrangements to Soften Network Competiti on," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 739, The University of Melbourne.
- Joan Calzada & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2008.
"Network Competition and Entry Deterrence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1223-1244, 08.
- Lopez, Angel L. & Rey, Patrick, 2009.
"Foreclosing competition through access charges and price discrimination,"
IESE Research Papers
D/801, IESE Business School.
- Lopez, Angel & Rey, Patrick, 2009. "Foreclosing Competition through Access Charges and Price Discrimination," IDEI Working Papers 570, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2015.
- Ángel L. López & Patrick Rey, 2009. "Foreclosing Competition through Access Charges and Price Discrimination," Working Papers 2009.99, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Lopez, Angel & Rey, Patrick, 2009. "Foreclosing Competition through Access Charges and Price Discrimination," TSE Working Papers 09-056, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised 02 Apr 2015.
- Luis Cabral, 2007.
"Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects,"
2007 Meeting Papers
326, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luis Cabral, 2008. "Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects," Working Papers 08-4, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Cabral, Luis, 2009. "Dynamic price competition with network effects," IESE Research Papers D/843, IESE Business School.
- Cabral, Luís M B, 2008. "Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 6687, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luís Cabral, 2007. "Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects," Working Papers 22, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Graf, Julia, 2012.
"Irrationality rings!: Experimental evidence on mobile tariff choices,"
23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012
60376, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Graf, Julia, 2011. "Irrationality rings! - Experimental evidence on mobile tariff choices," DICE Discussion Papers 36, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Corrocher, Nicoletta & Zirulia, Lorenzo, 0.
"Me and you and everyone we know: An empirical analysis of local network effects in mobile communications,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 68-79, February.
- Nicoletta Corrocher & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2008. "Me and you and everyone we know: an empirical analysis of local network effects in mobile communications," Working Paper Series 03_08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Daniel Birke & G. Swann, 2006. "Network effects and the choice of mobile phone operator," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 65-84, April.
- repec:rim:rimwps:03-08 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Vagstad, Steinar, 2008. "Why is on-net traffic cheaper than off-net traffic Access markup as a collusive device," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Harbord David & Pagnozzi Marco, 2010. "Network-Based Price Discrimination and `Bill-and-Keep' vs. `Cost-Based' Regulation of Mobile Termination Rates," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-46, February.
- Doh Shin Jeon & Jean Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001.
"On the receiver pays principle,"
Economics Working Papers
561, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bolle Friedel & Heimel Jana, 2005. "A Fallacy of Dominant Price Vectors in Network Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-8, September.
- Haucap Justus & Heimeshoff Ulrich & Stühmeier Torben, 2011.
"Wettbewerb im deutschen Mobilfunkmarkt,"
Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik,
De Gruyter, vol. 60(2), pages 240-268, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc13:79856. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.