On-Net and Off-Net Pricing on Asymmetric Telecommunications Networks
The differential between on-net and off-net prices, for example on mobile telephony networks, is an issue that is hotly debated between telecoms operators and regulators. Small operators contend that their competitors' high off-net prices are anticompetitive. We show that if the utility of receiving calls is taken into account, the equilibrium pricing structures will indeed depend on firms' market shares. Larger firms will charge higher off-net prices even without anticompetitive intent, both under linear and two-part tariffs. Predative behavior would be accompanied by even larger on-net / off-net differentials even if access charges are set at cost.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Jeong-Yoo & Lim, Yoonsung, 2001.
"An economic analysis of the receiver pays principle,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 231-260, June.
- Jeong-Yoo Kim & Yoonsung Lim, 2000. "An Economic Analysis of the Receiver Pays Principle," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0334, Econometric Society.
- Ulrich Berger, 2004. "Access Charges in the Presence of Call Externalities," Industrial Organization 0408009, EconWPA, revised 31 Aug 2004.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521066631 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin Peitz, 2005. "Asymmetric Regulation of Access and Price Discrimination in Telecommunications," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 327-343, November.
- Calzada, Joan & Valletti, Tommaso, 2005.
"Network Competition and Entry Deterrence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berger, Ulrich, 2005. "Bill-and-keep vs. cost-based access pricing revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 107-112, January.
- Michael Carter & Julian Wright, 1999. "Interconnection in Network Industries," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Haucap, Justus, 2003. "Mobile Termination with Asymmetric Networks," Working Paper 23/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2004.
"On the Receiver-Pays Principle,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(1), pages 85-110, Spring.
- Michael Carter & Julian Wright, 2003. "Asymmetric Network Interconnection," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 27-46, February.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2007.
"On-net and off-net pricing on asymmetric telecommunications networks,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-188, June.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2006. "On-Net and Off-Net Pricing on Asymmetric Telecommunications Networks," CEPR Discussion Papers 5588, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:eee:ecolet:v:71:y:2001:i:3:p:413-42 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Patrick Rey & Jean Tirole, 1998. "Network Competition: II. Price Discrimination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(1), pages 38-56, Spring.
- Steinar Vagstad & Tommy Staahl Gabrielsen, 2004.
"Why is on-net traffic cheaper than off-net traffic? Access markup as a collusive device and a barrier to entry,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
37, Econometric Society.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Vagstad, Steinar, 2004. "Why is on-net traffic cheaper than off-net traffic? Access markup as a collusive device and a barrier to entry," Working Papers in Economics 03/04, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Gans, J.S. & King, S.P., 2000.
"Using 'Bill and Keep' Interconnect Arrangements to Soften Network Competiti on,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
739, The University of Melbourne.
- Gans, Joshua S. & King, Stephen P., 2001. "Using 'bill and keep' interconnect arrangements to soften network competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 413-420, June.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Berger Ulrich, 2005. "Access Charges in the Presence of Call Externalities," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Cambini, Carlo & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2004. "Access charges and quality choice in competing networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 391-409, September.
- Ralf Dewenter & Justus Haucap, 2005. "The Effects of Regulating Mobile Termination Rates for Asymmetric Networks," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 185-197, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5588. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.