Wettbewerb im deutschen Mobilfunkmarkt
This paper studies competition in the German market for mobile telecommunications, motivated by recent suggestions that T-Mobile and Vodafone possess a position of collective dominance. Allegedly, their position of joint dominance is secured through a combination of first-mover advantages and discrimination between on-net and off-net prices. While our qualitative analysis remains inconclusive, as some factors tend to favour collusion while others make collusion more difficult to sustain, our empirical analysis suggests that T-Mobile and Vodafone cannot act independently of their smaller rivals, but that they are disciplined by their smaller competitors' offerings.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: +49 211 81-13820|
Phone: +49 211 81-15494
Fax: +49 211 81-15499
Web page: http://www.dice.hhu.de/en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Littlechild, S.C., 0. "Mobile termination charges: Calling Party Pays versus Receiving Party Pays," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5-6), pages 242-277, June.
- Armstrong, M., 1996. "Network interconnection," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9625, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2011.
"Testing The “Waterbed” Effect In Mobile Telephony,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(6), pages 1114-1142, December.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2007. "Testing the 'Waterbed' Effect in Mobile Telephony," CEP Discussion Papers dp0827, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2008. "Testing the “Waterbed” Effect in Mobile Telephony," CEIS Research Paper 110, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 11 Jul 2008.
- Genakos, Christos D. & Valletti, Tommaso, 2009. "Testing the "Waterbed" Effect in Mobile Telephony," CEPR Discussion Papers 7611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christos Genakos & Tommaso Valletti, 2007. "Testing the "waterbed" effect in mobile telephony," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19680, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Clemente, Jesus & Montanes, Antonio & Reyes, Marcelo, 1998. "Testing for a unit root in variables with a double change in the mean," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 175-182, May.
- Patrice Geoffron & Haobo Wang, 2008. "What is the mobile termination regime for the asymmetric firms with a calling club effect?," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 58-79.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bolle Friedel & Heimel Jana, 2005. "A Fallacy of Dominant Price Vectors in Network Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-8, September.
- Paolo Lupi & Fabio M. Manenti, 2009. "Traffic Management In Wholesale International Roaming: Towards A More Efficient Market? ," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 379-407, October.
- Wright, Julian, 2002. "Access Pricing under Competition: An Application to Cellular Networks," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 289-315, September.
- Daniel Birke & G. Swann, 2006. "Network effects and the choice of mobile phone operator," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 65-84, April.
- Lukasz Grzybowski, 2005. "Regulation of Mobile Telephony across the European Union: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 47-67, 07.
- Anja Lambrecht & Katja Seim & Bernd Skiera, 2007. "Does Uncertainty Matter? Consumer Behavior Under Three-Part Tariffs," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(5), pages 698-710, 09-10.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Vagstad, Steinar, 2008. "Why is on-net traffic cheaper than off-net traffic Access markup as a collusive device," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Gruber,Harald, 2005. "The Economics of Mobile Telecommunications," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521843270. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)