What Determines Borrowing Costs of EU Countries
This paper finds that public debt and a range of other economic variables are surprisingly weakly correlated with sovereign spreads in EU countries. Democratic capital, on the other hand, was a powerful predictor of spread heights between 2003 and 2007, while its relevance disappeared in late 2008, when only credit ratings were correlated with the investors' estimate of default probabilities. These results suggests that (1) institutional characteristics may sometimes play a central role in determining borrowing costs and (2) investors attach different weights to relevant variables depending on global macroeconomic conditions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++421/2/5787 1111
Fax: ++421/2/6787 1100
Web page: http://www.nbs.sk/en/publications-issued-by-the-nbs/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vicarelli, Claudio & De Santis, Roberta & De Nardis, Sergio, 2008.
"The Single Currency's Effects on Eurozone Sectoral Trade: Winners and Losers?,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2, pages 1-34.
- Sergio de Nardis & Roberta De Santis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2007. "The single currency’s effects on Eurozone sectoral trade: winners and losers?," ISAE Working Papers 88, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Vicarelli, Claudio & De Santis, Roberta & De Nardis, Sergio, 2008. "The Single Currency's Effects on Eurozone Sectoral Trade: Winners and Losers?," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-1, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Richard Baldwin & Virginia DiNino & Lionel Fontagn� & Roberto A. De Santis & Daria Taglioni, 2008. "Study on the Impact of the Euro on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," European Economy - Economic Papers 321, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Christopher Taylor, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and the euro: the first five years," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Skudelny, Frauke & Taglioni, Daria, 2005. "Trade effects of the euro: evidence from sectoral data," Working Paper Series 0446, European Central Bank.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2007.
"The effect of the euro on foreign direct investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1468-1491, August.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2004. "The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment," Research Papers in Economics 2004:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Pavlos Petroulas, 2006. "The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 48, Bank of Greece.
- Martin Suster & Marek Arendas & Michal Bencik & Pavel Gertler & Frantisek Hajnovic & Zora Kominkova & Tibor Lalinsky & Marian Nemec & Dusan Preisinger & Vladimir Solanic & Anna Strachotova & Marcel Ti, 2006. "The Effects of euro Adoption on the Slovak Economy," Working and Discussion Papers 1/2006, Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:svk:wpaper:1007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.