Spousal Influence on Early Retirement Behavior
In this paper, we use a binary choice panel data model to analyze married individuals.retirement behavior in Norway when a new option, AFP early retirement becomes available. We focus our study on the influence of the spouse.s characteristics on early retirement behavior. We find the directions of spousal e¤ects are quite symmetric but women seem to have a much stronger response to their spouses' characteristics than men. The comparison of di¤erent specifications indicates that correct modeling of the error term covariance structure in a panel data binary choice model is quite important.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: +47 - 62 88 55 95
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blau, David M. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1998.
"Labor Force Transitions of Older Married Couples in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blau, David M. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1999. "Labor force transitions of older married couples in Germany," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 229-252, June.
- Blau, David & Riphahn, Regina, 1998. "Labour Force transitions of Older Married Couples in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1911, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gustman, Alan L & Steinmeier, Thomas L, 2000. "Retirement in Dual-Career Families: A Structural Model," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 503-545, July.
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 2002.
"Gender Differences in Early Retirement Behaviour,"
Working Papers in Economics
02/02, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Courtney Coile, 2003.
"Retirement Incentives and Couples' Retirement Decisions,"
NBER Working Papers
9496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coile Courtney, 2004. "Retirement Incentives and Couples' Retirement Decisions," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-30, July.
- Ted Bergstrom, 1994.
"A Survey of Theories of the Family,"
Labor and Demography
9401001, EconWPA, revised 10 Oct 1994.
- An, M.Y. & Christensen, B.J. & Gupta, N.D., 1999. "A Bivariate Duration Model of the Joint Retirement Decisions of Married Couples," Papers 99-10, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- G. S. Maddala, 1987. "Limited Dependent Variable Models Using Panel Data," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(3), pages 307-338.
- Erik HernÃ¦s & Zhiyang Jia & Steinar StrÃ¸m, 2007.
"Retirement in Non-Cooperative and Cooperative Families,"
in: Ageing and the Labor Market in Japan, chapter 7
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hærnes, Erik & Jia, Zhiyang & Strøm, Steinar, 2005. "Retirement in Non-Cooperative and Cooperative Families," Memorandum 15/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Erik Hernæs & Zhiyang Jia & Steinar Strøm, 2001. "Retirement in Non-Cooperative and Cooperative Families," CESifo Working Paper Series 476, CESifo Group Munich.
- William Greene, 2004.
"Convenient estimators for the panel probit model: Further results,"
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 21-47, January.
- William Greene, 2002. "Convenient estimators for the panel probit model: Further results," Working Papers 02-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Martínez-Granado, Maite & Labeaga, José M. & Jiménez-Martín, Sergi, 1999.
"Health status and retirement decisison for older european couples,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
6170, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Jiménez-Martín, Sergi & Labeaga, José M. & Martínez Granado, Maite, 1999. "Health status and retirement decisions for older European couples," IRISS Working Paper Series 1999-01, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Blau, David M., 1997. "Social security and the labor supply of older married couples," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 373-418, December.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Richard Blundell & Thomas MaCurdy, 1998.
"Labour supply: a review of alternative approaches,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michaud, P.C., 2003.
"Joint Labour Supply Dynamics of Older Couples,"
2003-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dean R. Hyslop, 1999. "State Dependence, Serial Correlation and Heterogeneity in Intertemporal Labor Force Participation of Married Women," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1255-1294, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:406. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (L MaasÃ¸)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.