Health and Labor Supply Dynamics of Older Married Workers
This empirical analysis investigates how the labor supply dynamics of married workers aged 46-65 is influenced by their own health conditions and by those of their cohabiting partners. Exploiting the information conveyed by the European Community Household Panel (1995-2001), our econometric specifications focus on the transition towards not employment within the next year and use alternative health indicators to describe the overall physical and mental conditions of couple members. We also control for partners labor supply because of its close relationship with their own health and the well-documented coordination with the labor market position of the other couple member. Our results show that while healthier individuals present higher chances of remaining at work in the future, living with healthier spouses affects positively the likelihood of ceasing from work. Finally, when the spouse is employed, the probability of keeping on working is estimated to rise. This last result upholds the hypothesis, suggested by the literature, that couple members prefer to spend their time in the same employment status.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via del Santo, 33 - 35122 Padova|
Phone: +39 +49 8274210
Fax: +39 +49 827.4211
Web page: http://www.decon.unipd.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Currie, Janet & Madrian, Brigitte C., 1999.
"Health, health insurance and the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 50, pages 3309-3416
- Blau, David M, 1994. "Labor Force Dynamics of Older Men," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 117-56, January.
- Nigel Rice & Jennifer Roberts & Andrew M. Jones, 2007.
"Sick of work or too sick to work? Evidence on health shocks and early retirement from the BHPS,"
2007002, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2007.
- Nigel Rice & Jennifer Roberts & Andrew M. Jones, 2006. "Sick of work or too sick to work? Evidence on health shocks and early retirement from the BHPS," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 06/13, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Ronald Hagan & Andrew M. Jones & Nigel Rice, 2006. "Health and retirement in Europe," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 06/10, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Harvey S. Rosen & Stephen Wu, 2003.
"Portfolio Choice and Health Status,"
NBER Working Papers
9453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Eugenio Zucchelli & Anthony Harris & Nigel Rice & Andrew M. Jones, 2007. "Health and Retirement among Older Workers," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 07/19, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- John Bound & Michael Schoenbaum & Todd R. Stinebrickner & Timothy Waidmann, 1998.
"The Dynamic Effects of Health on the Labor Force Transitions of Older Workers,"
NBER Working Papers
6777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bound, John & Schoenbaum, Michael & Stinebrickner, Todd R. & Waidmann, Timothy, 1999. "The dynamic effects of health on the labor force transitions of older workers," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 179-202, June.
- Stephen Wu, 2003. "The Effects of Health Events on the Economic Status of Married Couples," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- Michaud, Pierre-Carl, 2003.
"Joint Labour Supply Dynamics of Older Couples,"
IZA Discussion Papers
832, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blau, David M. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1999.
"Labor force transitions of older married couples in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 229-252, June.
- Blau, David M. & Riphahn, Regina T., 1998. "Labor Force Transitions of Older Married Couples in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blau, David & Riphahn, Regina, 1998. "Labour Force transitions of Older Married Couples in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1911, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chou, Y. J. & Staiger, Douglas, 2001. "Health insurance and female labor supply in Taiwan," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 187-211, March.
- Richard Disney & Carl Emmerson & Matthew Wakefield, 2003.
"Ill health and retirement in Britain: a panel data based analysis,"
IFS Working Papers
W03/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Disney, Richard & Emmerson, Carl & Wakefield, Matthew, 2006. "Ill health and retirement in Britain: A panel data-based analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 621-649, July.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Robert G. Valletta, 1996.
"The effect of health insurance on married female labor supply,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
96-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Robert G. Valletta, 1999. "The Effect of Health Insurance on Married Female Labor Supply," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(1), pages 42-70.
- Martínez-Granado, Maite & Labeaga, José M. & Jiménez-Martín, Sergi, 1999.
"Health status and retirement decisison for older european couples,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
6170, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Jiménez-Martín, Sergi & Labeaga, José M. & Martínez Granado, Maite, 1999. "Health status and retirement decisions for older European couples," IRISS Working Paper Series 1999-01, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Berkowitz, Michael K. & Qiu, Jiaping, 2006. "A further look at household portfolio choice and health status," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1201-1217, April.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Richard Dorsett & Getinet Haile, 2007.
"State dependence, duration dependence and unobserved heterogeneity in the employment transitions of the over-50s,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro
ieil0049, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Dorsett, Richard & Haile, Getinet, 2007. "State dependence, duration dependence and unobserved heterogeneity in the employment transitions of the over-50s," ISER Working Paper Series 2007-16, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Blau, David M, 1998. "Labor Force Dynamics of Older Married Couples," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 595-629, July.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pad:wpaper:0073. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raffaele Dei Campielisi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.