Dealing with the ECB's triple mandate?
The prevailing consensus on the role of central banks has eroded. The pursuit of the goal of price stability only is now insufficient to ensure macroeconomic and financial stability. A new paradigm emerges in which central banks should ensure price stability, growth and financial stability. Recent institutional developments of the ECB go in this direction since it will be in charge of the micro-prudential supervision. In addition, the conduct of monetary policy in the euro area shows that the ECB also remained attentive to the evolution of economic growth. But if the ECB implements its triple mandate, the question of the proper relationship between these missions still arises. Coordination between the different actors in charge of monetary policy, financial regulation and fiscal policy is paramount and is lacking in the current architecture. Besides, certain practices should be clarified. The ECB has played a role as lender of last resort (towards banks and, to a lesser extent, towards governements) although this mission was not allocated to the ECB. Finally, in this new framework, the ECB suffers from a democratic illegitimacy, reinforced by the increasing role it plays in determining the macroeconomic and financial balance of the euro area. It seems important that the ECB is more explicit with regard to its different objectives and that it fulfils the conditions for close cooperation with the budgetary authorities and financial regulators. Finally, we call for the ex nihilo creation of a supervisory body of the ECB, which responsibility would be to discuss and analyze the relevance of the ECB monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue de l'OFCE - Debates and Policies, 2014, pp.163-173|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 2010.
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 22, pages 1237-1302
- Hayo, Bernd, 1998. "Inflation culture, central bank independence and price stability," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 241-263, May.
- Forder, James, 1998. "Central Bank Independence--Conceptual Clarifications and Interim Assessment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 307-34, July.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Rahbari, Ebrahim, 2012. "The ECB as Lender of Last Resort for Sovereigns in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2011. "The European Central Bank: Lender of Last Resort in the Government Bond Markets?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3569, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jean-Paul Betbèze & Christian Bordes & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Dominique Plihon, 2011. "Banques centrales et stabilité financière," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00629624, HAL.
- repec:fip:fedbsp:y:2013:i:apr12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vítor, Castro, 2011. "Can central banks' monetary policy be described by a linear (augmented) Taylor rule or by a nonlinear rule?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 228-246, December.
- Cour-Thimann, Philippine & Winkler, Bernhard, 2013.
"The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure,"
Working Paper Series
1528, European Central Bank.
- Philippine Cour-Thimann & Bernhard Winkler, 2012. "The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 765-803, WINTER.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007.
"La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE,"
- Jérôme Creel & Éloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 100(1), pages 7-30.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2084, Sciences Po.
- Roberto M. Billi & George A. Kahn, 2008. "What is the optimal inflation rate?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 5-28.
- Charles Goodhart, 2010. "The Changing Role of Central Banks," FMG Special Papers sp197, Financial Markets Group.
- Hans J. Blommestein & Philip Turner, 2012.
"Interactions Between Sovereign Debt Management and Monetary Policy Under Fiscal Dominance and Financial Instability,"
OECD Working Papers on Sovereign Borrowing and Public Debt Management
3, OECD Publishing.
- Hans J Blommestein & Philip Turner, 2012. "Interactions between sovereign debt management and monetary policy under fiscal dominance and financial instability," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Threat of fiscal dominance?, volume 65, pages 213-237 Bank for International Settlements.
- William R. White, 2006. "Is price stability enough?," BIS Working Papers 205, Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:usg:wajohr:2012 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jérôme Héricourt & Philippe Martin & Gianluca Orefice, 2014. "Les exportateurs français face à l'euro," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 340.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2084 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles Goodhart, 2010. "The changing role of central banks," BIS Working Papers 326, Bank for International Settlements.
- Eric S. Rosengren, 2013. "Should full employment be a mandate for central banks?," Speech 70, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard, 2008.
"L'énigme des exportations revisitée : que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/6404, Sciences Po.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard, 2008. "L'énigme des exportations revisitée. Que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 67-100.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2012. "The Governance of a Fragile Eurozone," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 45(3), pages 255-268, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/53ccj34tat80tq7f6ff0qvvjtj. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.