Dealing with the ECB's triple mandate?
The prevailing consensus on the role of central banks has eroded. The pursuit of the goal of price stability only is now insufficient to ensure macroeconomic and financial stability. A new paradigm emerges in which central banks should ensure price stability, growth and financial stability. Recent institutional developments of the ECB go in this direction since it will be in charge of the micro-prudential supervision. In addition, the conduct of monetary policy in the euro area shows that the ECB also remained attentive to the evolution of economic growth. But if the ECB implements its triple mandate, the question of the proper relationship between these missions still arises. Coordination between the different actors in charge of monetary policy, financial regulation and fiscal policy is paramount and is lacking in the current architecture. Besides, certain practices should be clarified. The ECB has played a role as lender of last resort (towards banks and, to a lesser extent, towards governements) although this mission was not allocated to the ECB. Finally, in this new framework, the ECB suffers from a democratic illegitimacy, reinforced by the increasing role it plays in determining the macroeconomic and financial balance of the euro area. It seems important that the ECB is more explicit with regard to its different objectives and that it fulfils the conditions for close cooperation with the budgetary authorities and financial regulators. Finally, we call for the ex nihilo creation of a supervisory body of the ECB, which responsibility would be to discuss and analyze the relevance of the ECB monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue de l'OFCE - Debates and Policies, 2014, pp.163-173|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2084 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:fip:fedbsp:y:2013:i:apr12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jérôme Héricourt & Philippe Martin & Gianluca Orefice, 2014. "Les exportateurs français face à l'euro," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 340.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2012.
"The Governance of a Fragile Eurozone,"
Australian Economic Review,
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 45(3), pages 255-268, 09.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2012. "The Governance of a Fragile Eurozone," Walter Adolf Jöhr Lecture 2012, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science, Institute of Economics (FGN-HSG).
- Paul De Grauwe, 2011. "The European Central Bank: Lender of Last Resort in the Government Bond Markets?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3569, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eric S. Rosengren, 2013. "Should full employment be a mandate for central banks?," Speech 70, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Rahbari, Ebrahim, 2012. "The ECB as Lender of Last Resort for Sovereigns in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8974, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hayo, Bernd, 1998. "Inflation culture, central bank independence and price stability," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 241-263, May.
- Jérôme Creel & Éloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 100(1), pages 7-30.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE," Post-Print hal-01021406, HAL.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2084, Sciences Po.
- Charles Goodhart, 2010. "The changing role of central banks," BIS Working Papers 326, Bank for International Settlements.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard, 2008. "L'énigme des exportations revisitée. Que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 67-100.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard, 2008. "L'énigme des exportations revisitée : que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/6404, Sciences Po.
- Philippine Cour-Thimann & Bernhard Winkler, 2012. "The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 765-803, WINTER.
- Cour-Thimann, Philippine & Winkler, Bernhard, 2013. "The ECB’s non-standard monetary policy measures: the role of institutional factors and financial structure," Working Paper Series 1528, European Central Bank.
- Vítor, Castro, 2011. "Can central banks' monetary policy be described by a linear (augmented) Taylor rule or by a nonlinear rule?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 228-246, December.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 2010. "Inflation Targeting," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 22, pages 1237-1302 Elsevier.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 2010. "Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 16654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Paul Betbèze & Christian Bordes & Jézabel Couppey-Soubeyran & Dominique Plihon, 2011. "Banques centrales et stabilité financière," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00629624, HAL.
- Hans J Blommestein & Philip Turner, 2012. "Interactions between sovereign debt management and monetary policy under fiscal dominance and financial instability," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Threat of fiscal dominance?, volume 65, pages 213-237 Bank for International Settlements.
- Hans J. Blommestein & Philip Turner, 2012. "Interactions Between Sovereign Debt Management and Monetary Policy Under Fiscal Dominance and Financial Instability," OECD Working Papers on Sovereign Borrowing and Public Debt Management 3, OECD Publishing.
- William R. White, 2006. "Is price stability enough?," BIS Working Papers 205, Bank for International Settlements.
- Forder, James, 1998. "Central Bank Independence--Conceptual Clarifications and Interim Assessment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(3), pages 307-334, July.
- Roberto M. Billi & George A. Kahn, 2008. "What is the optimal inflation rate?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 5-28.
- Charles Goodhart, 2010. "The Changing Role of Central Banks," FMG Special Papers sp197, Financial Markets Group. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)