Interactions Between Sovereign Debt Management and Monetary Policy Under Fiscal Dominance and Financial Instability
This paper argues that serious fiscal vulnerabilities arising from many years of high government debt will create new and complex interactions between public debt management (PDM) and monetary policy (MP). The paper notes that, although their formal mandates have not changed, recent balance sheet policies of many Central Banks (CBs) have tended to blur the separation of their policies from fiscal policy (FP). The mandates of debt management offices (DMOs) have usually had a microeconomic focus (viz, keeping government debt markets liquid, limiting refunding risks etc). Such mandates have usually eschewed any macroeconomic policy dimension. For these reasons, all clashes in policy mandate between CBs and DMOs have been latent and not overt.
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2 rue Andre Pascal, 75775 Paris Cedex 16|
Phone: 33-(0)-1-45 24 82 00
Fax: 33-(0)-1-45 24 85 00
Web page: http://www.oecd.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Missale, 2012. "Sovereign debt management and fiscal vulnerabilities," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Threat of fiscal dominance?, volume 65, pages 157-176 Bank for International Settlements.
- William A Allen, 2012. "Government debt management and monetary policy in Britain since 1919," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Threat of fiscal dominance?, volume 65, pages 15-50 Bank for International Settlements.
- Faraglia, Elisa & Marcet, Albert & Scott, Andrew, 2010.
"In search of a theory of debt management,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(7), pages 821-836, October.
- Albert Marcet & Elisa Faraglia & Andrew Scott, 2008. "In Search of a Theory of Debt Management," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 743.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Elisa Faraglia & Albert Marcet & Andrew Scott, 2011. "In Search of a Theory of Debt Management," CEP Discussion Papers dp1083, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Faraglia, Elisa & Marcet, Albert & Scott, Andrew, 2008. "In Search of a Theory of Debt Management," CEPR Discussion Papers 6859, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elisa Faraglia & Albert Marcet & Andrew Scott, 2008. "In Search of a Theory of Debt Management," Working Papers 348, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Lex Hoogduin & Bahar Öztürk & Peter Wierts, 2011. "Public Debt Managers' Behaviour Interactions with Macro Policies," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 62(6), pages 1105-1122.
- Lex Hoogduin & Bahar Öztürk & Peter Wierts, 2010. "Public Debt Managers Behaviour: Interactions with Macro Policies," DNB Working Papers 273, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Missale, Alessandro, 1999. "Public Debt Management," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290858.
- John Geanakoplos & Ana Fostel, 2008. "Leverage Cycles and the Anxious Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1211-1244, September.
- Richard G. Anderson, 2010. "The first U.S. quantitative easing: the 1930s," Economic Synopses, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2011. "Let's Twist Again: A High-Frequency Event-study Analysis of Operation Twist and Its Implications for QE2," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 42(1 (Spring), pages 151-207.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2011. "Let’s twist again: a high-frequency event-study analysis of operation twist and its implications for QE2," Working Paper Series 2011-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Eric T. Swanson, 2011. "Let's Twist Again: A High-Frequency Event-Study Analysis of Operation Twist and Its Implications for QE2," 2011 Meeting Papers 982, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fabrizio Zampolli, 2012. "Sovereign debt management as an instrument of monetary policy: an overview," BIS Papers chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Threat of fiscal dominance?, volume 65, pages 97-118 Bank for International Settlements. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)