La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE
Exchange rate policy is of primordial economic importance given its impact on price stability, real growth and regional cohesion. In this article, we argue that the euro area thus needs a true exchange rate policy, to which it is entitled by law, but that it finds itself unable to implement for political reasons. The ECB has indeed illegally pre-empted the European exchange rate policy to submit it to the objective of price stability, with the tacit agreement of EU member states. The consequence of this ?quiet hijacking? is twofold: the exchange rate of the euro is a factor of regional instability; the euro area is more a spectator than a actor in our globalization. JEL Codes: JEL: E42, E58, E61, F31, N14.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006. "Ouverte pour travaux : la Présidence allemande de l’UE et la réunification européenne," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2103, Sciences Po.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi, 2004. "La question du taux de change de l'euro," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/4044, Sciences Po.
- Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006. "Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case against the European economic constitution," Sciences Po publications 130, Sciences Po.
- Jérôme Creel & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006.
"La nouvelle désinflation compétitive européenne,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/2085, Sciences Po.
- Guthrie, Graeme & Wright, Julian, 2000. "Open mouth operations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 489-516, October.
- C. Randall Henning, 2006. "The External Policy of the Euro Area: Organizing for Foreign Exchange Intervention," Working Paper Series WP06-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_100_0007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.