L'énigme des exportations revisitée. Que faut-il retenir des données de panel ?
The starting point of the paper comes from the inability of standard models to explain the recent evolution of exports in industrialized countries. The long term price and income elasticities are unstable and the cointegration hypothesis is rejected. We consider explaining exports in a panel model using unit root and cointegration tests. This approach is fully suited as it allows for various hypotheses on the heterogeneity of parameters. It seems that the standard approach is not systematically rejected. We also introduced non price factors to take into account the effect of quality, the existence of supply constraints and the world trade openness. The panel and individual equations are successfully improved. Cointegration hypothesis is accepted and estimates are generally consistent. JEL classification: C330, F140, F170.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christophe Hurlin & Valérie Mignon, 2006.
"Une Synthèse des Tests de Racine Unitaire sur Données de Panel,"
- Christophe Hurlin & Valérie Mignon, 2005. "Une synthèse des tests de racine unitaire sur données de panel," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 169(3), pages 253-294.
- Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2005. "Les déterminants du solde de la balance des transactions courantes au Luxembourg," BCL working papers 13, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Christophe HURLIN & V. MIGNON, 2006.
"Une synthèse des tests de co-intégration sur données de panel,"
1724, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Christophe Hurlin & Valérie Mignon, 2007. "Une synthèse des tests de cointégration sur données de panel," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 180(4), pages 241-265.
- Christophe Hurlin & Valérie Mignon, 2006. "Une synthèse des tests de cointégration sur données de panel," Working Papers halshs-00070887, HAL.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996.
"Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate results from Gregory and Hansen(1996) JOE article," Statistical Software Components RTZ00081, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," RCER Working Papers 335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "GREGORYHANSEN: RATS procedure to implement Gregory-Hansen test for Cointegration with breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00082, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988.
Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Françoise Le Gallo & Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 2002. "Compétitivités prix et qualité dans le commerce international : une analyse empirique des échanges de 12 pays de l’OCDE," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 152(1), pages 93-113.
- Matthieu Crozet & Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 2004.
"Trade performances, product quality perceptions and the estimation of trade price-elasticities,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Matthieu Crozet & Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 2004. "Trade Performances, Product Quality Perceptions, and the Estimation of Trade Price Elasticities," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 108-129, 02.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Marion Cochard, 2008. "Le commerce extérieur français à la dérive ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 29-66.
- Keiko Murata & Dave Turner & David Rae & Laurence Le Fouler, 2000. "Modelling Manufacturing Export Volumes Equations: A System Estimation Approach," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 235, OECD Publishing.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00096826 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness: Errata," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1203, December.
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Marion Cochard, 2008. "Le commerce extérieur français à la dérive," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/6403, Sciences Po.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_106_0067. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.