Simple tests for exogeneity of a binary explanatory variable in count data regression models
This article investigates power and size of some tests for exogeneity of a binary explanatory variable in count models by conducting extensive Monte Carlo simulations. The tests under consideration are Hausman contrast tests as well as univariate Wald tests, including a new test of notably easy implementation. Performance of the tests is explored under misspecification of the underlying model and under different conditions regarding the instruments. The results indicate that often the tests that are simpler to estimate outperform tests that are more demanding. This is especially the case for the new test.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Publication status:||published in Communications in Statistics: Simulation and Computation, 38(9), pp. 1834-1855, 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francois Degeorge & Francois Derrien & Kent L. Womack, 2007.
"Analyst Hype in IPOs: Explaining the Popularity of Bookbuilding,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1021-1058.
- François Derrien & François Degeorge & K. Womack, 2007. "Analyst Hype in IPOs: Explaining the Popularity of Bookbuilding," Post-Print hal-00480839, HAL.
- Austin Nichols, 2007. "IVPOIS: Stata module to estimate an instrumental variables Poisson regression via GMM," Statistical Software Components S456890, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Sep 2008.
- Peter Egger & Mario Larch & Kevin E. Staub & Rainer Winkelmann, 2011. "The Trade Effects of Endogenous Preferential Trade Agreements," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 113-143, August.
- Peter Egger & Mario Larch & Kevin E. Staub & Rainer Winkelmann, 2010. "The Trade Effects of Endogenous Preferential Trade Agreements," SOI - Working Papers 1013, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Peter Egger & Mario Larch & Kevin E. Staub & Rainer Winkelmann, 2010. "The Trade Effects of Endogenous Preferential Trade Agreements," CESifo Working Paper Series 3253, CESifo Group Munich.
- Terza, Joseph V. & Basu, Anirban & Rathouz, Paul J., 2008. "Two-stage residual inclusion estimation: Addressing endogeneity in health econometric modeling," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 531-543, May.
- Terza, Joseph V., 1998. "Estimating count data models with endogenous switching: Sample selection and endogenous treatment effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 129-154, May.
- Chiara Monfardini & Rosalba Radice, 2008. "Testing Exogeneity in the Bivariate Probit Model: A Monte Carlo Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(2), pages 271-282, 04.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:42:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Windmeijer, F A G & Silva, J M C Santos, 1997. "Endogeneity in Count Data Models: An Application to Demand for Health Care," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 281-294, May-June.
- Frank Windmeijer & Joao Santos Silva Santos Silva, 1996. "Endogeneity in count data models; an application to demand for health care," IFS Working Papers W96/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2006. "The Log of Gravity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 641-658, November.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEP Discussion Papers dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrés Romeu & Marcos Vera-Hernández, 2005. "Counts with an endogenous binary regressor: A series expansion approach," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(1), pages 1-22, 03.
- Andrés Romeu & Marcos Vera-Hernández, 2004. "Counts With An Endogenous Binary Regressor: A Series Expansion Approach," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-36, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alfonso Miranda, 2004. "FIML estimation of an endogenous switching model for count data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(1), pages 40-49, March.
- Alfonso Miranda Caso Luengo, 2003. "FIML estimation of an endogenous switching model for count data," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 07, Stata Users Group.
- Hiroaki Masuhara, 2008. "Semi-nonparametric count data estimation with an endogenous binary variable," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(42), pages 1-13.
- Quintana-Garcia, Cristina & Benavides-Velasco, Carlos A., 2008. "Innovative competence, exploration and exploitation: The influence of technological diversification," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 492-507, April.
- John Mullahy, 1997. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation Of Count Data Models: Applications To Models Of Cigarette Smoking Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 586-593, November.
- Grogger, Jeffrey, 1990. "A simple test for exogeneity in probit, logit, and poisson regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 329-332, August.
- Patrik Guggenberger, 2008. "The Impact of a Hausman Pretest on the Size of Hypothesis Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1651, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Michael Creel, 2004. "Modified Hausman tests for inefficient estimators," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(21), pages 2373-2376. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)