Networks and the Dynamics of Firms' Export Portfolio: Evidence for Mexico
In this paper we use network-analysis tools to identify communities in the web of exporters' destinations. Next we use our network-based community measure as predictor of additional countries chosen by firms expanding their export destination portfolio. We defend that our network-based community measure is superior to extended gravity measures. This superiority stems from the fact that community is a revealed measure, is country-specific and can be calculated at the industry level. Using data on Mexican new exporters over the period 2003-2009, we show that the probability of choosing a new export destination multiplies almost by three if it belongs to the same community of any of the firm's previous destinations. The introduction of the network-based community variable improves the accuracy of the model up to 20% relative to a model that only includes gravity and extended gravity variables. We also show that industry-specific communities and general communities play similar roles in determining the dynamics of Mexican exporters' country portfolio.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9 Mappin Street, SHEFFIELD, S1 4DT|
Phone: +44 114 222 3399
Fax: + 44 (0)114 222 3458
Web page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Facundo Albornoz & Hector F. Calvo Pardo & Gregory Corcos & Emanuel Ornelas, 2010.
10-08, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Facundo Albornoz & Héctor Calvo-Pardo & Gregory Corcos & Emanuel Ornelas, 2010. "Sequential exporting," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28724, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Albornoz-Crespo, Facundo & Calvo Pardo, Hector F. & Corcos, Gregory & Ornelas, Emanuel, 2010. "Sequential Exporting," CEPR Discussion Papers 8103, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hector Calvo & Gregory Corcos & Emanuel Ornelas & Facundo Albornoz, 2010. "Sequential Exporting," 2010 Meeting Papers 1065, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Facundo Albornoz & Hector Calvo-Pardo & Gregory Corcos & Emanuel Ornelas, 2010. "Sequential Exporting," CEP Discussion Papers dp0974, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
- Cadot, Olivier & Iacovone, Leonardo & Pierola, Denisse & Rauch, Ferdinand, 2011.
"Success and failure of African exporters,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5657, The World Bank.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"Market Access in Global and Regional Trade,"
2005-02, CEPII research center.
- de Sousa, J. & Mayer, T. & Zignago, S., 2011. "Market access in global and regional trade," Working papers 358, Banque de France.
- de Sousa, José & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 9085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Sousa, José & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1201, CEPREMAP.
- De Sousa, Jose & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2011. "Market access in global and regional trade," MPRA Paper 35602, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soledad Zignago & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," Sciences Po publications 2005-02, Sciences Po.
- Chaney, Thomas, 2011.
"The Network Structure of International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth Train, 2003.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Online economics textbooks,
SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Facundo Albornoz & Hector Calvo-Pardo & Gregory Corcos & Emanuel Ornelas, 2012. "Sequential exporting: how firms break into foreign markets," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 364, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Raja Kali & Javier Reyes, 2007. "The architecture of globalization: a network approach to international economic integration," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 595-620, July.
- C. A. Hidalgo & B. Klinger & A. -L. Barabasi & R. Hausmann, 2007. "The Product Space Conditions the Development of Nations," Papers 0708.2090, arXiv.org.
- Kali, Raja & Reyes, Javier & McGee, Joshua & Shirrell, Stuart, 2013. "Growth networks," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 216-227.
- Defever, Fabrice & Heid, Benedikt & Larch, Mario, 2015.
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 145-156.
- Morales, Eduardo & Sheu, Gloria & Zahler, Andrés, 2011. "Gravity and extended gravity: estimating a structural model of export entry," MPRA Paper 30311, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martina Lawless, 2013.
"Marginal Distance: Does Export Experience Reduce Firm Trade Costs?,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 819-841, November.
- Lawless, Martina, 2011. "Marginal Distance: Does Export Experience Reduce Firm Trade Costs?," Research Technical Papers 2/RT/11, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Daniel X. Nguyen, 2010. "Demand Uncertainty: Exporting Delays and Exporting Failures," Discussion Papers 10-17, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shf:wpaper:2014003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacob Holmes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.