Flexicurity analysis of youngsters in Europe: the role of â€œcapabilitiesâ€ and human capital
The paper presents some significant results of the YOUTH project (Young in Occupations and Unemployment: THinking of their better integration in the labour market), promoted by the European Commission â€“ DG Employment. The paper assumes that flexicurity is very important for young workers, because they are (as new entrants in the labour market and as workers with peculiar qualitative structural characteristics) particularly exposed to risks of unemployment, â€œatypicalâ€ employment and precariousness trap. In this framework, we perform a principal component and a cluster analyses to classify the EU Member States in accordance with the degree of achievement of flexicurity for young people. The analysis use a set of indicators wider than that identified in the four flexicurity pillars proposed by the EC and includes flexibility and security components more targeted to young people needs. In particular, we use further human capital indicators and some measures of combination security and young people autonomy, that we propose as indicators of individualsâ€™ â€œreal opportunitiesâ€, strictly tied to the concept of â€œcapabilitiesâ€.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torben M. Andersen & Michael Svarer, 2007.
"Flexicurity: Labour Market Performance in Denmark,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 53(3), pages 389-429, September.
- Torben M. Andersen & Michael Svarer, 2007. "Flexicurity – labour market performance in Denmark," Economics Working Papers 2007-09, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Torben Andersen & Michael Svarer, 2007. "Flexicurity – Labour Market Performance in Denmark," CESifo Working Paper Series 2108, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andrew Clark & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2005.
"Job security and job protection,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19904, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrew E. Clark & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2004. "Job security and job protection," DELTA Working Papers 2004-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Andrew Clark & Fabien Postel-Vinay, 2005. "Job Security and Job Protection," CEP Discussion Papers dp0678, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Clark, Andrew E & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2005. "Job Security and Job Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 4927, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2005. "Job Security and Job Protection," IZA Discussion Papers 1489, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Emanuela Ghignoni, 2006. "Human capital, unemployment, and probability of transition to permanent employment in the Italian regional labour markets," Working Papers 93, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992. "The macroeconomic impact of flexible labor contracts, with an application to Spain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1013-1047, June.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Gomulka, J. & Micklewright, J. & Rau, N., 1984. "Unemployment benefit, duration and incentives in Britain : How robust is the evidence?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 3-26.
- Madsen, P.K., 2006. "Labour Market Flexibility and Social Protection in European Welfare States - Contrasts and Similarities," Australian Bulletin of Labour, National Institute of Labour Studies, vol. 32(2), pages 139-162.
- repec:ilo:empelm:2007-03 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.