Saddlepath learning occurs when agents know the form but not the coefficients of the sad?dlepath relationship defining rational expectations equilibrium. Under saddlepath learning, we obtain a completely general relationship between determinacy and e-stability, and generalise Min?imum State Variable results previously derived only under full information. When the system is determinate, we show that a learning process based on the saddlepath is always e-stable. When the system is indeterminate, we find there is a unique MSV solution that is iteratively e-stable. However, in this case there is a sunspot solution that is learnable as well. We conclude by demon?strating that our results hold for any information set.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL|
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1998.
"Solutions to Linear Rational Expectations Models: A Compact Exposition,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1998. "Solutions to linear rational expectations models: a compact exposition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 143-147, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Klaus Adam & George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapoja, 2003.
"Are Stationary Hyperinflation Paths Learnable?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
936, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kaushik Mitra & James Bullard, .
"Learning About Monetary Policy Rules,"
00/41, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Bennett McCallum, 1999.
"Role of the Minimal State Variable Criterion in Rational Expectations Models,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 621-639, November.
- Bennett T. McCallum, . "Role of the minimal state variable criterion in rational expectations models," GSIA Working Papers 1999-13, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 2007.
"E-stability vis-a-vis determinacy results for a broad class of linear rational expectations models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1376-1391, April.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2006. "E-Stability vis-a-vis Determinacy Results for a Broad Class of Linear Rational Expectations Models," NBER Working Papers 12441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1973. "Rational Expectations and the Dynamics of Hyperinflation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 328-50, June.
- Stefano Eusepi & James Bullard, 2008.
"When Does Determinacy Imply Expectational Stability?,"
2008 Meeting Papers
897, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- James Bullard & Stefano Eusepi, 2014. "When Does Determinacy Imply Expectational Stability?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 1-22, 02.
- James B. Bullard & Stefano Eusepi, 2009. "When does determinacy imply expectational stability?," Working Papers 2008-007, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chryssi Giannitsarou, 2004.
"Supply-side reforms and learning dynamics,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
36, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2003.
"The Unique Minimum State Variable RE Solution is E-Stable in All Well Formulated Linear Models,"
NBER Working Papers
9960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2002. "The Unique Minimum State Variable RE Soluiton is E-Stable in All Well Formulated Linear Models," GSIA Working Papers 2003-25, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Gaspar, Vítor & Smets, Frank & Vestin, David, 2006.
"Adaptive learning, persistence, and optimal monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
0644, European Central Bank.
- Vitor Gaspar & Frank Smets & David Vestin, 2006. "Adaptive Learning, Persistence, and Optimal Monetary Policy," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 376-385, 04-05.
- Marcet, Albert & Sargent, Thomas J., 1989. "Convergence of least squares learning mechanisms in self-referential linear stochastic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 337-368, August.
- Klaus Adam, 2003.
"Learning and Equilibrium Selection in a Monetary Overlapping Generations Model with Sticky Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(4), pages 887-907.
- Adam, Klaus, 2003. "Learning and Equilibrium Selection in a Monetary Overlapping Generations Model with Sticky Prices," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/03, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1981.
"On Non-Uniqueness in Rational Expectations Models: An Attempt at Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
0684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1983. "On non-uniqueness in rational expectations models : An attempt at perspective," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 139-168.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:cdmacp:0710. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (the School of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.