Agriculture and Structural Transformation in Developing Asia: Review and Outlook
Relative to other developing regions, developing Asia has experienced a slower decline in employment share in agriculture, compared to its output share; a rapid growth in labor and land productivity; and a shift from agricultural output from traditional to high-value products. The most successful Asian economies have pursued an agricultural development-led industrialization pathway. Nevertheless, agriculture remains the largest employer in many large Asian countries, hence future structural transformation must take into account agricultural transformation. Extrapolating from past trends, and taking to account emerging conditions, many countries of developing Asia will be expected to move on to the next phase of agricultural development; however even in the long term, agriculture’s employment share will continue to be sizable relative with the output share. To expedite transformation, many Asian countries will still need to promote long term productivity growth in agriculture and facilitate upgrading of their farms and agroenterprises within the global value chain.
|Date of creation:||09 Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 789, Manila|
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herath, Deepananda & Weersink, Alfons, 2009. "From Plantations to Smallholder Production: The Role of Policy in the Reorganization of the Sri Lankan Tea Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1759-1772, November.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio & Reca, Lucio, 2000.
"Trade and agroindustrialization in developing countries: trends and policy impacts,"
Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 219-229, September.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio & Reca, Lucio, 2000. "Trade and agroindustrialization in developing countries: trends and policy impacts," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Francisco J. Buera & Joseph P. Kaboski, 2009. "Can Traditional Theories of Structural Change Fit The Data?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(2-3), pages 469-477, 04-05.
- Rana Hasan & M. G. Quibria, 2004. "Industry Matters for Poverty: A Critique of Agricultural Fundamentalism," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 253-264, 05.
- Hal Hill, 2000.
"Indonesia: The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 117-139.
- Hal Hill, 1999. "Indonesia : The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 199913, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Felipe, Jesus & Kumar, Utsav & Abdon, Arnelyn, 2012. "Using capabilities to project growth, 2010–2030," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 153-166.
- Sonobe, Tetsushi & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2001. "A new decomposition approach to growth accounting: derivation of the formula and its application to prewar Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Hertel, Thomas & Burke, Marshall & Lobell, David, 2010. "The Poverty Implications of Climate-Induced Crop Yield Changes by 2030," GTAP Working Papers 3196, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2006.
"Capital Deepening and Non-Balanced Economic Growth,"
2006 Meeting Papers
207, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2006. "Capital Deepening and Non-Balanced Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 12475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hill,Hal, 2000. "The Indonesian Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521663670, December.
- Keijiro Otsuka & Takashi Yamano, 2006. "Introduction to the special issue on the role of nonfarm income in poverty reduction: evidence from Asia and East Africa," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(s3), pages 393-397, November.
- Stefan Dercon, 2009. "Rural Poverty: Old Challenges in New Contexts," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, April.
- C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin & Alasdair Scott, 1999.
"Booms and Slumps in World Commodity Prices,"
IMF Working Papers
99/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Cashin & C John McDermott & Alasdair Scott, 1999. "Booms and slumps in world commodity prices," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G99/8, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Adelman, Irma, 1984. "Beyond export-led growth," CUDARE Working Paper Series 309, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Gollin, Douglas, 2010. "Agricultural Productivity and Economic Growth," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Balcombe, Kelvin, 2009. "The Nature and Determinants of Volatility in Agricultural Prices," MPRA Paper 24819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gustav Ranis, 2012. "Labor Surplus Revisited," Working Papers 1016, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Jongwanich, Juthathip, 2009. "The impact of food safety standards on processed food exports from developing countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 447-457, October.
- Srinivasan, T. N., 1996. "Economic liberalization and economic development: India," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 203-216.
- Lopez, Ramon & Galinato, Gregmar I., 2007. "Should governments stop subsidies to private goods? Evidence from rural Latin America," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(5-6), pages 1071-1094, June.
- Ranis, Gustav, 1995. "Another Look at the East Asian Miracle," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 9(3), pages 509-534, September.
- repec:oxf:wpaper:gprg-wps-072 is not listed on IDEAS
- Homi Kharas, 2010. "The Emerging Middle Class in Developing Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 285, OECD Publishing.
- Peter Timmer, C., 1988. "The agricultural transformation," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 275-331 Elsevier.
- Angus Maddison, 2006. "Asia in the World Economy 1500-2030 AD," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 20, pages 1-37, November.
- Nelson, Gerald C. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Palazzo, Amanda & Gray, Ian & Ingersoll, Christina & Robertson, Richard & Tokgoz, Simla & Zhu, Tingju & Sulser, Timothy B. & Ringler, Claudia & Msangi, Siwa & , 2010. "Food security, farming, and climate change to 2050: Scenarios, results, policy options," Research reports Gerald C. Nelson, et al., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jongwanich, Juthathip, 2009. "Impact of Food Safety Standards on Processed Food Exports from Developing Countries," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 154, Asian Development Bank.
- Ranis, Gustav, 2012. "Labor Surplus Revisited," Working Papers 107, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Adelman, Irma, 1984. "Beyond export-led growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 937-949, September.
- Bruce F. Johnston, 1951. "Agricultural Productivity and Economic Development in Japan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59, pages 498-498.
- Chowdhury, Nuimuddin & Farid, Nasir & Roy, Devesh, 2006. "Food policy liberalization in Bangladesh: how the government and the markets delivered," MTID discussion papers 92, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- World Bank, 2003. "Promoting Agro-Enterprise and Agro-Food Systems Development in Developing and Transition Countries : Towards an Operational Strategy for the World Bank Group," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14676, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbewp:0363. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Susan M. Torres)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.