Economic Growth and Crime: Does Uncertainty Matter?
This paper contributes to the crime literature by exploring how the crime-uncertainty interaction impacts on economic growth. Using a panel of 25 countries over the period 1991-2007, we find evidence suggesting that increased crime has an asymmetric effect on growth depending on the future prospects of the economy as reflected in the degree of macroeconomic uncertainty. In particular, our results indicate that higher-than-average macroeconomic uncertainty enhances the adverse impact of crime on growth implying that a 10% increase in the crime rate can reduce annual per-capita GDP-growth by between 0.49 and 0.62 percent.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Patara, 3, 47921 Rimini (RN)|
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta, 2001.
"The Driving Forces of Economic Growth: Panel Data Evidence for the OECD Countries,"
- Andrea Bassanini & Stefano Scarpetta, 2001. "The Driving Forces of Economic Growth: Panel Data Evidence for the OECD Countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 9-56.
- Romero-Ávila, Diego & Strauch, Rolf, 2008. "Public finances and long-term growth in Europe: Evidence from a panel data analysis," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 172-191, March.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luciano Mauro & Gaetano Carmeci, 2007. "A Poverty Trap of Crime and Unemployment," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 450-462, 08.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Imbs, Jean, 2007.
"Growth and volatility,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1848-1862, October.
- Kevin HjortshÃ¸j O'Rourke & Richard S. Grossman & Madalina A. Ursu, 2013.
"A monthly stock exchange index for Ireland, 1864-1930,"
Economics Series Working Papers
120, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Adam, Christopher S. & Bevan, David L., 2005. "Fiscal deficits and growth in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 571-597, April.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lone Engbo Christiansen & Thierry Tressel & Martin Schindler, 2009.
"Growth and Structural Reforms; A New Assessment,"
IMF Working Papers
09/284, International Monetary Fund.
- Ishita Chatterjee & Ranjan Ray, 2009. "Crime, Corruption and Institutions," Monash Economics Working Papers 20-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Garey Ramey & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994.
"Cross-Country Evidence on the Link Between Volatility and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramey, Garey & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995. "Cross-Country Evidence on the Link between Volatility and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1138-51, December.
- World Bank & United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, 2007. "Crime, Violence, and Development : Trends, Costs, and Policy Options in the Caribbean," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7687, The World Bank.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007.
"Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, January.
- Mauricio Cárdenas, 2007. "Economic Growth In Colombia: A Reversal Of ‘Fortune’?," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 25(53), pages 220-259, Enero.
- Mauricio CARDENAS SANTAMARIA, 2002. "Economic growth in Colombia: A reversal of Fortune," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002402, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999.
"GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000. "GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Davide Furceri, 2010. "Long-run growth and volatility: which source really matters?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(15), pages 1865-1874.
- Hoeffler, Anke E, 2002.
" The Augmented Solow Model and the African Growth Debate,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(2), pages 135-58, May.
- Anke E. Hoeffler, 2000. "The Augmented Solow Model and the African Growth Debate," CID Working Papers 36, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Martin, Philippe & Ann Rogers, Carol, 2000.
"Long-term growth and short-term economic instability,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 359-381, February.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995. "Long-Term Growth and Short-Term Economic Instability," CEPR Discussion Papers 1281, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magdalena Morgese Borys & Éva Katalin Polgár & Andrei Zlate, 2008. "Real convergence and the determinants of growth in EU candidate and potential candidate countries - a panel data approach," Occasional Paper Series 86, European Central Bank.
- C. Detotto & M. Pulina, 2009. "Does more crime mean fewer jobs? An ARDL model," Working Paper CRENoS 200905, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Mendez, Fabio & Sepulveda, Facundo, 2006. "Corruption, growth and political regimes: Cross country evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 82-98, March.
- Axel Dreher, 2005.
"Does Globalization Affect Growth? Evidence from a new Index of Globalization,"
TWI Research Paper Series
6, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Axel Dreher, 2006. "Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1091-1110.
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- Dimitrios Asteriou & Simon Price, 2005. "Uncertainty, Investment and Economic Growth: Evidence from a Dynamic Panel," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 277-288, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:51_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.