Firm Corruption in the Presence of an Auditor
We develop a game theoretic framework exploring firm corruption accounting for interactions with an auditor who provides auditing and other services. A multiplicity of equilibria can exist including stable corruption and auditor controlled corruption. Whilst fining the auditor cannot eliminate all corruption, fining the firm can, but increasing this fine can also have perverse effects. Investing in corruption detection may be effective in deterring auditor corruption but ineffective in deterring firm corruption. Ultimately, policy effectiveness is highly dependent upon several factors which may be hard to observe in practice making general rules about policy interventions to address corruption very difficult.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Patara, 3, 47921 Rimini (RN)|
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & N'Guessan, Tchetche, 1999. "Competition and corruption in an agency relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 271-295, December.
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin, 2006.
"Collusive Market Sharing and Corruption in Procurement,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 883-908, December.
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin, 2006. "Collusive market sharing and corruption in procurement," Post-Print halshs-00754175, HAL.
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin, 2003. "Corruption and Collusion in Procurement Tenders," Working Papers w0036, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin, 2005. "Collusive market-sharing and corruption in procurement," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590773, HAL.
- Marco Pagano & Giovanni Immordino, 2007.
"Optimal Regulation of Auditing,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 53(3), pages 363-388, September.
- Giovanni Immordino & Marco Pagano, 2005. "Optimal Regulation of Auditing," CSEF Working Papers 133, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 May 2007.
- Marco Pagano & Giovanni Immordino, 2007. "Optimal Regulation of Auditing," CESifo Working Paper Series 1980, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1982. "Directly Unproductive, Profit-seeking (DUP) Activities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 988-1002, October.
- Lessmann, Christian & Markwardt, Gunther, 2010.
"One Size Fits All? Decentralization, Corruption, and the Monitoring of Bureaucrats,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 631-646, April.
- Lessmann, Christian & Markwardt, Gunther, 2008. "One size fits all? Decentralization, corruption, and the monitoring of bureaucrats," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 14/08, Technische Universität Dresden, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Christian Lessmann & Gunther Markwardt, 2009. "One Size Fits All? Decentralization, Corruption, and the Monitoring of Bureaucrats," CESifo Working Paper Series 2662, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521659123 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632935 is not listed on IDEAS
- Samuel, Andrew, 2009. "Preemptive collusion among corruptible law enforcers," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 441-450, August.
- Juan D. Carrillo, 2000.
"Graft, Bribes, and the Practice of Corruption,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 257-288, 06.
- Mishra, Ajit, 2006. "Persistence of corruption: some theoretical perspectives," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 349-358, February.
- John C. Coffee, 2005. "A Theory of Corporate Scandals: Why the USA and Europe Differ," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 198-211, Summer.
- repec:pse:psecon:2005-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- Michel Aglietta & Antoine RebÃ©rioux, 2005. "Corporate Governance Adrift," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3675.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rim:rimwps:20_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Savioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.