Optimal Regulation of Auditing
We study regulation of the auditing profession in a model where audit quality is unobservable and enforcing regulation is costly. The optimal audit standard falls short of the first-best audit quality, and is increasing in the riskiness of firms and in the amount of funding they seek. The model can encompass collusion between clients and auditors, arising from the joint provision of auditing and consulting services: deflecting collusion requires less ambitious standards. Finally, banning the provision of consulting services by auditors eliminates collusion but may not be optimal in the presence of economies of scope.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:||01 May 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in CESifo Economic Studies, Vol. 53, No. 3, September 2007, pages 363–388|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: I-80126 Napoli|
Phone: +39 081 - 675372
Fax: +39 081 - 675372
Web page: http://www.csef.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Immordino & Marco Pagano, 2010.
"Legal Standards, Enforcement, and Corruption,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 8(5), pages 1104-1132, 09.
- Immordino, Giovanni & Pagano, Marco, 2008. "Legal Standards, Enforcement and Corruption," CEPR Discussion Papers 7071, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni Immordino & Marco Pagano, 2009. "Legal Standards, Enforcement and Corruption," EIEF Working Papers Series 0914, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Oct 2009.
- Giovanni Immordino & Marco Pagano, 2003. "Legal Standards, Enforcement and Corruption," CSEF Working Papers 98, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Oct 2009.
- Steven Shavell & A. Mitchell Polinsky, 2000.
"The Economic Theory of Public Enforcement of Law,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(1), pages 45-76, March.
- Klein, April, 2002. "Audit committee, board of director characteristics, and earnings management," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 375-400, August.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2001.
"The Rise of the Regulatory State,"
NBER Working Papers
8650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2001. "The Rise of the Regulatory State," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1934, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Dye, Ronald A, 1993. "Auditing Standards, Legal Liability, and Auditor Wealth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(5), pages 887-914, October.
- Immordino, Giovanni & Pagano, Marco, 2008.
"Corporate Fraud, Governance and Auditing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7104, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Giovanni Immordino, 2009. "Corporate Fraud, Governance and Auditing," EIEF Working Papers Series 0909, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2009.
- Giovanni Immordino & Marco Pagano, 2008. "Corporate Fraud, Governance and Auditing," CSEF Working Papers 203, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 26 Apr 2012.
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 1-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agrawal, Anup & Chadha, Sahiba, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Accounting Scandals," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 371-406, October.
- Paul K. Chaney, 2002. "Shredded Reputation: The Cost of Audit Failure," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 1221-1245, 09.
- Alessandro Lizzeri, 1999. "Information Revelation and Certification Intermediaries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(2), pages 214-231, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sef:csefwp:133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lia Ambrosio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.