Effects of Transparency in Procurement Practices on Government Expenditure: A Case Study of Municipal Public Works
This paper examines the e?ect of improved transparency in the bidder quali.cation process, using the experience based on a case study of municipal public work auctions. It reveals that improved transparency reduces procurement cost by a maximum of three percent. This .nding is robust to the concerns of endogeneity, sample selectivity, and distributional assumptions. The bidding-function estimates, combined with features of Japanese procurement system, imply that the improved transparency limits abuse of auctioneer.s discretion, and thus weakens the stability of collusion among bidders.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1997.
"Ohio School Milk Markets: An Analysis of Bidding,"
NBER Working Papers
6037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dakshina De Silva & Timothy Dunne & Anuruddha Kankanamge & Georgia Kosmopoulou, 2005.
"The Impact of Public Information on Bidding in Highway Procurement Auctions,"
- De Silva, Dakshina G. & Dunne, Timothy & Kankanamge, Anuruddha & Kosmopoulou, Georgia, 2008. "The impact of public information on bidding in highway procurement auctions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 150-181, January.
- O. Compte & A. Lambert-Mogiliansky & T. Verdier, 2005. "Corruption and Competition in Procurement Auctions," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(1), pages 1-15, Spring.
- Dakshina G. De Silva & Timothy Dunne & Georgia Kosmopoulou, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of Entrant and Incumbent Bidding in Road Construction Auctions," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 295-316, 09.
- John McMillan, 1991. "Dango: Japan'S Price-Fixing Conspiracies," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 201-218, November.
- Federico Trionfetti, 2000. "Discriminatory Public Procurement and International Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 57-76, 01.
- Pesendorfer, Martin, 2000. "A Study of Collusion in First-Price Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 381-411, July.
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1992.
"Detection of Bid Rigging in Procurement Auctions,"
NBER Working Papers
4013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Bajari & Lixin Ye, 2003.
"Deciding Between Competition and Collusion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 971-989, November.
- Nakabayashi, Jun, 2013.
"Small business set-asides in procurement auctions: An empirical analysis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(C), pages 28-44.
- Jun Nakabayashi, 2010. "Small Business Set-asides in Procurement Auctions: An Empirical Analysis," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-126, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jun Nakabayashi, 2009. "Small Business Set-asides in Procurement Auctions: An Empirical Analysis," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2009-005, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba, revised Nov 2009.
- Yoshiro Miwa & J. Mark Ramseyer, 2004. "Toward a Theory of Jurisdictional Competition: The Case of the Japanese FTC," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-290, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Evenett, Simon J. & Hoekman, Bernard M., 2005.
"International cooperation and the reform of public procurement policies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3720, The World Bank.
- Evenett, Simon J & Hoekman, Bernard, 2004. "International Cooperation and the Reform of Public Procurement Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4663, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1998. "Corruption and the composition of government expenditure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 263-279, June.
- Atsushi Iimi, 2006. "Auction Reforms for Effective Official Development Assistance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 109-128, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2008cf548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.